Roger3006

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.midsouthgunslinger.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone

I am new to the forum and this is the first of many questions, assuming yall will put up with me.

My transaction to digital was done kicking and screaming; however, I am now enjoying it. My film processer died which which left me little choice.

My Nikon leses are AF "D" lenses which do not have an internal focusing motor. My D90 takes care of the the autofocus as does my old F4. If an AF-S lens is used on a D90, is the lens focused with the motor in the lens or the motor in the camera.

Also, are there any advantages of using an AF-S lens on a D90 or any Nikon body with a focusing motor?

Thank you for your help.

Roger :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
An AF-S lens is focused by the motor in the lens.

The AF-S lens mount does not provide a connection of the screw drive in the body to the lens focus mechanism in the lens.

Some of the AF-S focus motors are faster than the in the body screw drive system.

Thank you KmH. I guess I could have looked closer and figured it out.

Which is the best method of focus, all other factors being equal?

Roger

Lens based focus motor is going to be more responsive in most, not all but most cases. On the D90 it's more than likely all cases. The Pro bodies have a much more responsive screw drive than the non-pro bodies.

Both give the same results, an image that is in focus.

-Blair

Hello Everyone

Thank you for your replies. I am getting educated.

I am looking at two different 60mm micro lenses. Which,in yall's (I am a Southener) opinion, would be the most desirable for a D90 or up. The Nikkor AF-S Micro- 60mm f/2.8G ED or the Nikkor AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D?

Thank's again for your help.

Roger

Most reactions

Back