Question for D700 users

milavidal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I used to have my Nikon D80, I mostly used my 17-135mm. That was both because of the range and wide angle. Now that I have the D700, what would you guys recommend for a lens that would be compareable to the 17-135? I am willing to spend around 800 max. I'd rather have good lenses to start with than to switch later on . . . Oh, I have to mention, I need a fast one !:wink:

i dont think there is something in that range that is full frame. iv heard awesome things about the 24-70 2.8 which is fast 24 is about 16-125ish on a crop sensor. but i think that lens is over a grand. i think nikon makes something like a 24-120 3.5-5.6 that is reasonable but i dont know anything about it.

Definitely go ahead and pony up the cash for the best possible right now. You'll be much happier. I'd go for the 24-70 2.8, as well as the 70-200 2.8. Though not both at the same time, lol.

I think that pretty much leaves the 24-120VR as your only option if you want to stick with Nikon lenses.

I use it on my own D700 and it's ok. Not great, just ok. It's really only good at f/8-f/11. I've gotten some great pics out of it, any of the recent wide angle shots on my flickr page have been shot with it.

It's great for an all-round snapshot lens, and I actually really like the color out of it too on jpegs with the D2x picture controls.

dsc3454.jpg

You're mileage may vary, what are you planning on using it for?

If you want to escape the current lineup and get an older D type lens for a much cheaper price then look at the Nikkor AF D 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 or the Nikkor AF G 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 macro or the Nikkor AF D 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6, and all of these are a bargain and tiny compared to the 24-70

Definitely go ahead and pony up the cash for the best possible right now. You'll be much happier. I'd go for the 24-70 2.8, as well as the 70-200 2.8. Though not both at the same time, lol.

I alreadyy own the 70-200, so that shouldnt be a problem... :lol:

I'll have to look into the 24-70 . . .

I think that pretty much leaves the 24-120VR as your only option if you want to stick with Nikon lenses.

I use it on my own D700 and it's ok. Not great, just ok. It's really only good at f/8-f/11. I've gotten some great pics out of it, any of the recent wide angle shots on my flickr page have been shot with it.

It's great for an all-round snapshot lens, and I actually really like the color out of it too on jpegs with the D2x picture controls.

dsc3454.jpg

You're mileage may vary, what are you planning on using it for?

I plan to use it for events. I have been shooting a lot of kids birthday parties in function halls and stuff...so there's a lot of room for them to run around, and chasing them with a zoom wide angle is a must. Lighting is not always that great, and sometimes the high ceellings dont help either...Also,for the group shots, its almost impossible to get more than 3 people in a picture with the 70-200. The zoom range doesnt have to be that exact 17-135...Im open to less range as long as there is some...

You need the 24 or 28-70 f/2.8.

If you already have the 70-200mm, then the 24-70mm f/2.8 would make a sweet companion. I was concerned if the 24mm end would be wide enough for me.

At 24mm on the D700 here and here. I think it will work for me.

Consider primes! For kids' birthday parties, I'd think either a 50 mm f/1.4 (yes dear god I love this lens) or a 35mm f/2 outta do it.

The 24-70 F2.8 is most likely your best option, however the Nikkor is a little out of your budget. I wold go for the sigma version, which is less than half the price and optically extremely similar to the Nikon. The newer one also has some macro capabilities. I own the 18-50 version and couldn't be happier.

does the sigma 24-70 f/2.8 version work on FF as well?

that is my main lens on my d700. it works great! i was going to make the suggestion regardless. the lens is amazing. great contrast, really sharp and way more than affordable! and you could even get the new version with HSM and IF. it's around your budget on amazon.

either way, you won't regret it!

awesome!

Yeah, the sigma 24-70 is "only" $498 or so on Amazon, but compared to the recently price-hiked Nikon 24-70 that retails for NOW $1700, you could get 3 Sigma's and break 2 and still be fine!

I was going to consider the Nikon 24-70f/2.8 when it was $1399, maybe, but the extra $300 just stings. . .would you mind posting some pictures with your Sigma on your D700?

No proverbial focusing issues/hunting problems or softness, things that seem to plague Sigma here and there?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back