Question for the motorcycle nuts.

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, here it goes...

I rode a bike for 6 years many moons ago. I'm thinking about getting my b*tt in the saddle again, I live in a state where weather is not a safety
issue and I crave again for that special feelin'...

I am taking a safe driving course in motorcycle driving soon, hopefully get my license as well.

Now for the question(s):

A) which bike should I look for: (I have to tell you that I'm interested solely in cruisers, 1200cc and above)
  1. Harley
  2. Honda
  3. Suzuki
  4. Titan (lots of $$$ that I don't have)
  5. Kawasaki
  6. BMW
B) if you owned one of these, how much was it in the shop (for repairs/tune up and so on)?

Right now I'm leaning towards a Harley but I've been known to have changed my mind based on a sound advice.

Oh, one more thing, I won't ride it every day, just on occasions like every other weekend or so...

Advice?...:wink:

SILVER-SPORTY-CHOPPER-03.jpg

First of all I would go to all the dealers and see what type of deals they are offering you. Dont get too hell bent on a name because everyones bikes are so close in comparison these days that it comes down to a few other things now such as customer service and such. Sit on each bike and see how it feels to you, talk to the salesperson and see how knowledgable they are and what they can do to wheel and deal with you. Check out the service department, remember this is where you will be bringing your ride in for service and you dont want it to be some S$%&hole place.

Bace... I wish, man! :lmao:

Org, really good advice there... I was planning to do that, start with the dealers and check some bikes out. There is a HD dealership around the corner, I might do that 1st.

My main concern with the HD is the rumor that it spends a lot of time in the repair shop, for many reasons. Also heard they do leak quite a bit. Any truth to that?

I've heard the same thing about Harley's. I've never owned one (And don't want to..) so I can't tell you for sure.

I asked my uncle about it once (He owns a Suzuki/Honda shop in NC - There are some nice Honda cruiser's BTW...). He used to own a Harley. He said it's basically just a matter of taking care of it, just like anything else.

Mitica100 said:
My main concern with the HD is the rumor that it spends a lot of time in the repair shop, for many reasons. Also heard they do leak quite a bit. Any truth to that?

Harley will never be able to live down the “oil leaker” myth. Older H-D’s were actually designed to drip oil onto the primary chain (between engine and transmission) for lubrication… Since the primary case was not sealed, excess oil dripped out the bottom of the case and onto the ground. Not pretty, but that was the design.

As much as I love the sound and look of H-D, I don’t think I’d own another. Mine was very dependable, but there are far more refined cruisers being built today by the Japanese. If I were in the market for another bike, a Honda dealership would be my first stop.

How about one of these? http://powersports.honda.com/rune/

So, I am taking a motorcycle course, a refresher if you may, in a couple of weeks. That should enable me to pass the written text and only worry about the riding skills test. I already signed up and can't wait to do it. ;)

Mitica100 said:
So, I am taking a motorcycle course, a refresher if you may, in a couple of weeks.

Kudos to you for taking a “refresher” motorcycle safety course! All motorized two-wheel enthusiasts should take your lead, and do the same. Motorcycle riding is the most fun one can have while still wearing clothing…

Unfortunately, many riders wind up injured (or dead) because they don’t understand or have forgotten, basic control and traffic avoidance.

If I were King of the Planet Earth, I would require a “refresher” course for motorcycle endorsements every 4 years. :wink:

UPDATE: Today I took the first of two days of safety riding. I rode a Honda Shadow for about 5 hours, all sorts of maneuvers. Courses are taught by retired motorcycle cops and it was really fun to have that feeling again! Tomorrow we have another 5 hours of riding and then a test. Wish me luck!

Oh, BTW, it all came back to me, even after 30 some odd years of not riding. A bit rusty in the beginning but fine after the first 30 minutes.

Kinda like riding a bike really...you never forget. ;) :lol:

Let us know when you're heading off to the dealership, Dimitri! :D

Latest update: Passed both tests! I will have now the M (motorcycle) endorsement on my DL. On top of that, most insurance companies offer some 10% off their rates for the completion of this course. Cool!

And yeah, I saw a nice HD Sportster that kinda sparked my interest. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back