question for the parents I guess

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
How would you feel if the person who looked after your children when you weren't around had small tattoos on the inside of their arm? Would you worry that it may influence the child or not really care. And I guess if you didn't want your kid to see them a lone sleeve shirt or bandage over them would be ok?

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.
Influence the child to do what? rush out and get a tattoo? Here you have to be 18 to get a tattoo.

im pretty covered on my upper body and my niece loves them. she thinks they are sewn on or iron on tattoos.

If you trust the person with your child, it shouldn't matter whether or not they sport a tattoo. Depending on the age of the child, it's up to the parents to address the issue - should there be questions.

Older kids might think it's cool, in which case a factual description of tattoos is advised. Younger kids might not notice.

You could even make a game out of it, if you wanted to discourage them from tattoos. Let them draw their own, if they like the idea - and then let them wash it off when they grow tired of it, and explain with a "real" tattoo it can't be washed off. Always remain as noncommittal as possible about stuff like that - they are going to make up their own minds eventually, anyway. ;) Worst thing about parenting is realizing that the little monsters DO, in fact, grow up with minds of their own. :lol:

im no parent myself but i think i would react according to what kind of tattoos they are. for instance if someone with tattoos of naked women and guns and swords wanted to take care of my kids i would probably not hire the person because i think the tattoos say something about the person (people with tattoos tend to say that they express themselves through the tatttoos) but if the person had a lucky charm tattoo or like a flower i wouldnt really care.

Never been an issue for me. Aubrey has 2 tattoos and the boys love them. My brother also has a lot on his arms. Here in New Hampshire it's very accepted to have tattoos and I'm considering gettnig one myself. Like Terri said, it's important that kids realize they are permanent but when by boys are older if they want to get one I don't have an issue with it. Perhaps because I'm an artist myself I find them to be very interesting and when done well, works of art. The daycare/school where the boys go have a wide variety of employees from very young (age 16) to women who are grandmothers. I am pretty sure that some of them have tattoos, I know several have piercings. At the end of the day it's about whether the boys felt safe and loved rather than what their provider looks like.

Not really an issue here. I know alot of people with tattoos that I would let watch my child. I would probably have one myself if I didn't have a severe phobia of needles.

I pretty much agree with Terri in being non-committal. I'm not keen on tattoos at all but that doesn't mean my son isn't going to be and I'd rather be his father AND friend when he's 18 than rowing with him about tattoos & stuff!

andreag5 said:
im no parent myself but i think i would react according to what kind of tattoos they are. for instance if someone with tattoos of naked women and guns and swords wanted to take care of my kids i would probably not hire the person because i think the tattoos say something about the person (people with tattoos tend to say that they express themselves through the tatttoos) but if the person had a lucky charm tattoo or like a flower i wouldnt really care.

So I guess my skull with a mohawk and a smoking gun would freak you pretty quickly I guess :lmao:

Actually I've kind of always been on the other side of this one Ferny ... I'm incredibly sensitive and almost insecure about my tattoos and how others will judge me as a parent because of them. Living in a small town I used to get alot of sneers and under the breath comments when I'd walk with my son but now I mostly just try to ignore it and be more comfortable in my own badly (oh so badly) inked skin :mrgreen:

Thanks for your views everyone. Wish I had time to reply properly but I don't right now. What about these?

l148.gif
ai - Love
h73.gif
rong yu - Honour
r69.gif
- tzuen jing - Respect

or...
pz54.gif
Peter :mrgreen:

I may get "love" done at some point and see how that goes. Only small and on the inside of my left arm. Just thinking.....

Be careful getting Chinese writing tatts - i've heard horror stories about people getting them done only to discover that the writing on their arms doesn't mean what it's supposed to say. :shock:

If I decide to get a tatt i'll probably get something Tribal...

Jin_tattoo.jpg

I've got 14 tattoos.... one of them is a skull and crossbones, but i have never sunk a treasure ship.....

Xmetal said:
Be careful getting Chinese writing tatts - i've heard horror stories about people getting them done only to discover that the writing on their arms doesn't mean what it's supposed to say. :shock:

If I decide to get a tatt i'll probably get something Tribal...

Jin_tattoo.jpg
It'll probably end up saying "I shag donkeys for fun". Yes, I have wondered and plan to make sure it's correct if I get one. :mrgreen:
Saying that though, there are lots of people who have had tattoo's in their native tongue and its not been spelt correctly. :shock:

Most reactions

Back