Question for the professionals regarding cropping

Varthlokkur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What do you do regarding cropping of pictures? We present images to customers cropped for an 8x10. If they decide to get 4x6 or 5x7 images it throws the cropping completly off. We have some senior images that we Photoshopped and now I need to redo them because if I crop for a 4x6 or 5x7 it cuts off her arms. Any ideas so we dont have to redo them all the time?

Varthlokkur said:
What do you do regarding cropping of pictures? We present images to customers cropped for an 8x10. If they decide to get 4x6 or 5x7 images it throws the cropping completly off. We have some senior images that we Photoshopped and now I need to redo them because if I crop for a 4x6 or 5x7 it cuts off her arms. Any ideas so we dont have to redo them all the time?

I've been doing all the seniors as 4X5s now, easier to enlarge than it is to crop later. Seems to have helped me so far.

AlisonS said:
Varthlokkur said:

I've been doing all the seniors as 4X5s now, easier to enlarge than it is to crop later. Seems to have helped me so far.

Well 4x5 and 8x10 are the same. Still doesnt help for a 4x6 or 5x7

Try doing the 4x5 and putting it on a 4x6. This gives a 1x4 white space that the senior can write a short note on using a sharpie. You don't have to mess with cropping a second time and the student can write a note without writing into the photo.

Just a thought. As to the 5x7 - that's been a problem forever. When doing portraits in the darkroom we always had the problem of cropping again.

Most reactions

Back