Question for working photographers

Luna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
I've seen the same question asked in several forums where the vast majority are professionals.

The answer is not surprising. About 70% have a formal degree in one thing or another, but only about 20% have a formal education in photography.

Like any form of certification in ANY profession, it is no guarantee of proficiency or quality, it is merely a way to get your foot into the business, and whether you are shown the door or not all depends on your final results.

However, I did notice something very interesting... some of the most successful photographers are not only excellent at taking pictures, but have a *STRONG* business savvy and excellent customer service skills. These people are usually business people that have lasted longer than 2 years and are doing very well (as an example, in the wedding photography forums, these kinds of people are already booked solid for the YEAR).

Thank you for your replies!

I was just curious if my decision for my education was similar to other photographers' decisions. I am getting a bachelor of arts in communication (specifically interpersonal and mass media) with a minor in public relations. Then I was thinking about getting an associate's degree at a community college in photography. I thought it was really important to understand business and customer relations if you are going to be successful.

I am surprised that it is somewhat similar to mine. I got my university degree in languages and literatures, my teaching degree, and film and television production at community college.

skieur

Most reactions

Back