Question...Help

dostagamom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I was shooting in aperture priority mode (trying to get more practice) outside. I was looking in my viewfinder to make sure that I was not overexposing due to light. Keep in mind that I was in the shade and the sun was setting. The picture looked clear in my viewfinder, but when I uploaded them for pp I noticed a very grainy appearance. I am not sure what I did. Can anyone help?
Thank you so much for your help.

Is it possible your camera was in auto ISO mode, and bumped up the ISO, thereby producing some "grain" ?

First thing that comes to mind, is to check your ISO. Higher ISO's can produce noise / grain.

Posting the pic here will probably help others to troubleshoot the problem.

First thing that comes to mind, is to check your ISO. Higher ISO's can produce noise / grain.

Posting the pic here will probably help others to troubleshoot the problem.

The beginner beat me to it!

What type of camera do you have? H1, sounds like it could be an ISO boosting mode, in other words a very high ISO. Try reducing it to 400 or below.

The lower the ISO the less noise you will have in your pic. The trade off is that higher ISO's increase the sensitivity of your sensor, which allow you to use shorter shutter times - which can be useful in low light situations.

Is it a Nikon? I think the ISO-boosting mode on Nikons is called H1, in which case this would be a very high ISO (maybe 1600 or 3200). That would likely be the source of the noise.

There are programs that you can get that reduce noise in post-processing -- they may be able to save any shots you want to try to save.

Here is the picture and yes I have a Nikon d40.
DSC_0013.jpg

Yep, that is definitely noise caused by having a very high ISO.

There is plenty of light there to shoot with a much lower ISO, so go ahead and turn it on down! :)

You guys are GREAT!!! I am so new to this but I am really wanting to learn all that I can. What ISO do you suggest that I set my camera to when photographing outside?

I'd use between 100 and 400 except in low light, dusk, etc. -- if that results in too low of a shutter speed, you could bump it up from there, but I find that 100 or 200 work 95% of the time during the day.

By the way, on this shot you could also have used flash -- even in daylight, it might have helped lighten his face up a bit. (Though I don't mean that as a criticism -- this is a good shot.)

I appreciate the comments...this is the only way that I can get better. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Most reactions

Back