Question-- Nikon/ Canon Colour Accuracy? Your take!

The camera mode will get you close sometimes, but only if you use a Nikon programs. If you're shooting portraits and you use the portrait camera control it will get you closer that say using vivid. I use neutral, but to honest I've created my own customs - one based off standard the other based off neutral. Even then I will change things around. But if I use ACR for processing, none of that is seen by the software and I will need to apply the desired color control in ACR if I'm not happy with the Adobe default.

Even after all that, I still set black and white points and adjust curves and white balance. I always see the RAW image as the starting point for whatever my creative vision is.

RAW to JPG without processing:
i-gvZcdpx-XL.jpg

After Processing in Capture NX2:
DSC1393-XL.jpg

Just an example and not everyone would do the same thing or even think this is any good. Just showing how the RAW image is simply a starting point.

If you have some spare change laying around check out this:

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport MSCCPP B&H Photo Video

Accurate colour starts with accurate greys. The Colour Checker Passport, includes a grey card, as well as a Colour Checker. With the included software (lightroom plugin) you can also create a profile for your camera to start it off from "accurate" colours and then work your way to a picture you want to see.

All digital camera image sensors (which are analog devices) only record grayscale images in a 12-bit or 14-bit color depth.

For most digital cameras there is a Bayer Array in front of the image sensor Bayer filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that is used by algorithms (demosaicing) to extrapolate the colors in a scene. Consequently, colors are rendered somewhat differently by each demosaicing algorithm. Demosaicing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Particularly for Raw converters like ACR, DPP, NX2, Aperture, or any of the others, the colors are all slightly different.

In the case of JPEGs color accuracy is moot because about 80% of the original color data is discarded before the image is ever displayed on the rear LCD. (JPEGs only have an 8-bit color depth) Color depth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: rear LCD's cannot be calibrated because the ambient light they are used under is to variable.

I wonder what type of LCD display technology is used on rear LCD's? TN? PVA? IPS?

A few digital cameras (mostly from Sigma) use a Foveon type image sensor Foveon X3 sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To add more gasoline to the fire :) ....
What about in print?

Take 2 shots of the same thing & print the two images in a pro-lab and chances are they will both look the same :D

I wonder what type of LCD display technology is used on rear LCD's? TN? PVA? IPS?

Usually TN. From what I know, other than the iPhone ... and even with the iPhone, IPS technology is the thickest choice.

To add more gasoline to the fire :) ....
What about in print?

Take 2 shots of the same thing & print the two images in a pro-lab and chances are they will both look the same :D

Depends. Do you have two identical printers? How has the lab calibrated them? There are still a lot of things that can go wrong, and the fundamental problem of different inks and papers will mean that you will have images that look ever so slightly different on paper, especially if they are highly saturated.

Thanks guys! The way you handle these debates, confirms why I joined this forum in the first place.

Has anyone seen DP Review forums?? It is not about information, it is all about getting 'ONE' over on another person and point scoring!

Instead of it turning in to a Canon/Nikon war, it has turned into great practical advice being given from all angles! Cheers for helping me learn! I honestly thought perhaps Nikon and Canon colour differences mattered, seems they don't at all!

Instead of it turning in to a Canon/Nikon war, it has turned into great practical advice being given from all angles! Cheers for helping me learn! I honestly thought perhaps Nikon and Canon colour differences mattered, seems they don't at all!
What was it that Obi-wan said to Luke....You have taken your first steps into a larger world. (or something like that).

haha! Problem solved Garbz, your post has now been liked!

I didn't want to be a victim of your baseball bat!

Haha, I see your Australian aswell so that prolly means at some point in your life you have played Aussies Rules football! That is one tough game.

I used to play Rugby, that was tough enough. Aussie rules makes it look tame!

So you have my never ending respect Garbz!;)

Aussie rules makes it look tame! )

Yep. The irony is that when you watch the game it makes it looks like there are no rules at all. :)

The teams are nuts too. I once saw a full on fistfight break out on the field before the game even started.

Most reactions

Back