Question on a lens part

Kaspar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My Nikkor 18-55 MM VR lens adapter/mount is broken.

27zxamb.jpg

e81oar.jpg

What is that part that's broken called? I know this is a crappy lens, but if its only a 10 dollar repair..might as well.

Thanks!

I doubt very many people will know, there are no lens technicians here to my knowledge. If it is for repair purposes, I suggest you email a picture to someone that you speak to at Nikon.

Personally, if it was me, I would be a little happy... this is the perfect reason to finally get something a bit better than a kit lens! ;)

It appears that two of the "claws" on the lens mounting flange are broken. Repair would require that the mount be replaced. Whether any other parts are broken I couldn't say.

I doubt very many people will know, there are no lens technicians here to my knowledge. If it is for repair purposes, I suggest you email a picture to someone that you speak to at Nikon.

Personally, if it was me, I would be a little happy... this is the perfect reason to finally get something a bit better than a kit lens! ;)

Eh, I would love a new lens...but I'm only 16.

I'll take donation lenses though :lol:

Funny... when I was 16 I was in high school, working part time and driving a brand new 1976 Mustang Cobra. I paid for it 100% by myself (not 1 cent in "donations")... started when I was 13. Granted, cars today are more expensive, but I would figure that an industrious young lad today could find enough part time jobs to purchase just about any lens on the market. ;) :)

Funny... when I was 16 I was in high school, working part time and driving a brand new 1976 Mustang Cobra. I paid for it 100% by myself (not 1 cent in "donations")... started when I was 13. Granted, cars today are more expensive, but I would figure that an industrious young lad today could find enough part time jobs to purchase just about any lens on the market. ;) :)

I was kidding. You're a pretty ignorant guy though huh?

First of all, you dont know where I live

I would assume that you know the economics situation in our country today? A job for a 16 year old is HARD to get. People around here got fired from full time jobs and took all the part time. I live in a very highly populated student area...so most jobs are already taken.

I've applied for over 16 jobs so far...only got ONE call back to a crappy grocery store and I when I called them back(5 minutes after they called me) they said the position was already taken. So please, dont inform me about the 1980's...we live in 2009 now.

But hey, this is a photography forum. I'll stop =]

I was kidding. You're a pretty ignorant guy though huh?

First of all, you dont know where I live

I would assume that you know the economics situation in our country today? A job for a 16 year old is HARD to get. People around here got fired from full time jobs and took all the part time. I live in a very highly populated student area...so most jobs are already taken.

I've applied for over 16 jobs so far...only got ONE call back to a crappy grocery store and I when I called them back(5 minutes after they called me) they said the position was already taken. So please, dont inform me about the 1980's...we live in 2009 now.

But hey, this is a photography forum. I'll stop =]

You'd be surprised. Not that I am saying that this is you, but a lot of retail locations will get job applications from teenagers that are delivered in (to say it lightly) casual clothes, job applications done with a marker or crayon, job applications delivered with friends in tow... I've heard plenty of stories from people (yes, today in 2009) who have delivered applications in a professional, respectful manner to the manager of the store and have been hired on the spot. I still saw plenty of "Help Wanted" signs in LA a few weeks ago before I came back home for the summer (although I recognize your mileage may vary if you live in a small town where there are only so many jobs even in a good economy).

Keep looking, just be patient, polite, and professional (the 3 P's) - punctuality doesn't hurt either ;)

I got my first "real" job at 15. I've worked in 3 places, a local ski resort, bed, bath and beyond, and best buy. I've also applied to about 4 other retails stores, but I turned down the jobs since they were 10-20 miles away.

A few tips for getting a job at a young age...from a 17 year old:

1. Fill out an application fully, don't half ass it, and write NEATLY.
2. Go in an talk to the manager, express interest, and wear khaki's + a polo shirt, or something that isn't shorts and a tee-shirt.
3. Be polite, write a letter even if you get denied thanking them for considering your application.
4. Act like you're 18, and not 16, being "old" for your age helps.
5. Always dress nicely to interviews, while speaking to managers, etc.
6. BE EARLY, at minimum, show up 5-10 minutes early.
7. Actually care about those personality profile tests.

I got my job at Best Buy even during the recession, and the manager even said that because of my seriousness to apply, and not dressing like a slob was the reason I got the job.

BUT ON TOPIC:

Apparently the mount costs around $15 and can be user replaced, with some know how.

Flickr: Discussing 18-55mm lens mount repair. in Nikon Digital Learning Center

Hope this helps.

This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once.

It said, "Hire A Teenager While They Still Know It All." :lol:

God, seems this post attracted the narcissistic bunch. How about we lay off the kid and actually attempt at answering the question?

I can understand trouble with employment, I applied to over 40 places last summer and got one call back.

Agreed, we're not in the 80's anymore, this is 2009.

Nonetheless, you can just get a new 18-55 off craigslist for maybe $80.

yeah that... if you have money to spend that is :lol:

howd that happen to your lens mount ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back