Question on Backdrops for Home Studio.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What color(s) on backdrops have you strobists found to be the most useful for home studio portrait work?

I have a black muslin backdrop and I bought a white one too but have not used it since it's been misplaced.

I was looking at getting another couple of backdrops and was leaning towards a grey or a colorful "swirly" pattern as seen here:

Backdrop Alley Reversible Muslin Backdrop BAHP24AQNGHT B&H Photo

Also, is muslin the best way to go? I have had okay success with my black, heavy duty muslin but it does let some light through and is wrinkly.

Are there other materials that are better?

Anybody have experience with double sided backdrops?

Thanks.

Muslin is popular but of course wrinkles. I ended up going with seamless paper and love it! It comes in all colors, is farily cheap and you can get it messy and tear it off or just reuse it if you don't get it messy. I don't do much studio work so I only have two backdrops in seamless. I have an 8 ft. white that I use most and also a 4ft dove grey. I haven't used the grey much yet but many photographers swear by it. You can over expose it and make it look almost white or your can underexpose it and make it black.

Thanks. Where is Keller? I'm originally from San Antonio.

I've been using a white vinyl backdrop. It has the look of seamless paper but is more durable. Although, after a lot of use, rolling and folding it up, setting it up in many different locations, it's starting to get a lot of marks & scuffs on it. I might have to look for a vinyl cleaner or something.

I agree that paper is a good options. Musin/fabric is nice, but it can also be a PITA and if not used well, tends to look pretty cheesy. Seamless paper usually looks nice and clean, but it is a consumable product.

Mar14-web-09.jpg

I also put a sheet of white wall board on the floor to extend the shooting area.

White is great because it can be white or anything between white and black.
Flooring-either a floor drop or some easy peasy snap together laminate flooring
The basics I couldn't live without? White, black and one classic portrait backdrop. I like Silver Lake, but there are millions of great ones out there. I even have a few I painted myself.
And anything in the blues. there is no blue in skin tone so it's easy to change a blue backdrop to any color you want to!
I LOVE the new candy sticks too!!!!! However, if you have to take it down every time you use it? not so hot. They make great wallpaper I guess! LOL!

It's on the northern border of Ft. Worth. San Antonio is getting big!

I've been using a white vinyl backdrop. It has the look of seamless paper but is more durable. Although, after a lot of use, rolling and folding it up, setting it up in many different locations, it's starting to get a lot of marks & scuffs on it. I might have to look for a vinyl cleaner or something.

I agree that paper is a good options. Musin/fabric is nice, but it can also be a PITA and if not used well, tends to look pretty cheesy. Seamless paper usually looks nice and clean, but it is a consumable product.

Mar14-web-09.jpg

I also put a sheet of white wall board on the floor to extend the shooting area.

Before I used the seamless I had the same set up. I still have the wallboard and vinyl. The only problem is that I travel so it was a pain to bring that set up to another location. The boards are bulky and heavy. Plus my vinyl was not ideal. I couldn't find a wide enough section so I got two four foot wide sections and my ex-wife stitched them together for me. But the line where they were stitched together would often show up and had to be cloned out. I did love the slight glossiness to the wallboard. It would give off a slight reflection which I liked.

I have used paper in the past but found I prefer the durability of vinyl, as I do a lot of white background shots, especially of kids etc, so it's easy to clean.

For portability I use a Lastolite HiLite Lastolite Hi-Lite Background 6'x7' "High Key": Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (with floor train) if I'm shooting somewhere other than my studio, which gives great results, is free standing and has no "dead zone", i.e. your subjects can stand right by it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

It's on the northern border of Ft. Worth. San Antonio is getting big!

Mar14-web-09.jpg

Before I used the seamless I had the same set up. I still have the wallboard and vinyl. The only problem is that I travel so it was a pain to bring that set up to another location. The boards are bulky and heavy. Plus my vinyl was not ideal. I couldn't find a wide enough section so I got two four foot wide sections and my ex-wife stitched them together for me. But the line where they were stitched together would often show up and had to be cloned out. I did love the slight glossiness to the wallboard. It would give off a slight reflection which I liked.
Yes, one problem with vinyl is that it's very hard to find in large single widths. I work for an industrial fabric company (we don't make the fabric, just fabric products) and they couldn't find anything wider than 60" (might have been 50"). I had them use two widths for mine. It's attached with a heat welded seam, so it's a pretty clean seam. I sometimes have to clone or smooth it out in post, but not always.

The fabric I choose to use was a low gloss vinyl, usually used for making signs (via screen printing).

We have a fabric that comes in 12 foot widths, which would be great for a backdrop, but it's not a great fabric for photography. It's too glossy.

Last edited:
In addition to all those mentioned...Fun ones that I just bought that are printed canvas can be found here:

Badsassbackdrops.com

The quality is fantastic and they just bought a new printer due to all the requests for adult portraits and are sized up to 8 feet wide now.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

Most reactions

Back