Question on cropping this picture.

Jace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off: I know it's blurry, I knew it would be blurry/oof when I took it, I was just testing the ambient light in my bedroom while playing around with ISO settings. (I do still like the photo, but I guess it's because it's my wife. )

So, pretend it's in focus and you love it.

My question on it, is since you love the actual subject in the picture as far as subjects go, am I leaving her too much empty space? On a picture like this should it be cropped a lot closer? The only cropping I did was to her right, leaving the left alone for her to 'move into', though I'm wondering if I am mistaken on that.

neliblurred.png

I don't think cropping the right side was all you did. The image has funky dimensions and isn't at the standard ratio.

As far as cropping goes, I would take more off the left hand side, mainly because the photo just looks long (horizontally).

i always use 4x6, 5x7 or 8x10 ratios when cropping..

I probably cropped some from the top, but I was mainly concerned with the space to her left/right... But to be honest I don't remember how I cropped it and it seems my first foray into using .RAW may not have been as successful as I hoped. My next search I guess will be; "Why the eff is my image gray/blurred/stretched when I save it as RAW in PS!?" I'm sure there's a topic on that somewhere around here.

I don't mind that much dead space on the left, thought it's not for everyone. The only drawback to having that much dead space in this image, combined with the non-standard aspect ratio, is that is puts the transition between sections of the background just about dead center horizontally, and that makes the image seem a bit disjointed. If the background had been consistent all the way across I wouldn't have a problem with this composition at all.

The camera can be used in 2 orientations so the need for cropping post process is minimized. The horizontal, or landscape orientation, and the vertical, or portrait orientation.

Post the original, if what you have posted was cropped.

Most reactions

Back