question on reflections

Stine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today I went when my husband to an Aquarium... You know the places to see all the fishs.... Well I was trying to take pictures of the fish through the glass. I did it at an angle but most of them came out with a reflection of well me or my husband in the glass... and ALOT of them came out blurry.. It was fairly dark in there so I tryed to up the ISO and turn off the flash.. some of them came out alright but most of the blurry.... anyway to fix that? think most of the reason is because I had no tripoD so it was me moving the camera? Help :)

Next time, put the lens up to the glass flush. The idea is to lock light out and essentially make the aquarium glass part of the lens.

With light in the room it of course reflects off the glass... if you seal out the light (lens flush against the glass) light cant get in between the glass to cause the reflection.

Definitely do NOT use the flash. That'll create more light to flash.

also I think that a polarizing filter would help with reflections.

Believe it or not, a rubber lens hood will do a great job if pressed up against the glass, and you could get away with using the flash successfully too!

Ya know I was thinking about a polarized filter the whole time thinking it would help. The rubber lens hood is a good idea you can use the flash too? that would be good because there were some parts that were pretty dark... I kept my fast off and changed the ISO to 1600 which kinda worked... I'm working on getting both of those things...
Thanks Jon K. That's great thinking. I appriciate it. That makes a lot of sence making the lens flush with the glass. I thought the angle thing would work but that obviously didn't...so I'll def try that next time.
Thanks alot!

So now my question is... is there anyway to fix the pictures I have through a computer program? Some of them could be a good picture if I can get rid of the reflection....

Sometimes creative positioning of the hand will work. It took me a while to realise where a flare was coming from when I was taking a photo of a sugar glider 2 weeks ago. It looked horrible and a writeoff, but moving one hand just underneath the flash (as opposed to cupping it around the lens) saved the rest of the images. It also depends on the angle, other light, etc.

Shooting flat to the glass is not always compositionally practical.

Garbz, I knew it would def. be a challange...and not pactical, but I wanted to try anyway. I didn't know I could put my hand under the flash to help... I did try to cup my hand around the lens but that wasn't working at all. I should try that next time too.
Jerry...I'm goin to just assume that is pretty much not able....stink... oh well next time...

You need to watch and be aware of your shutter speed. If the shutter speed is too slow, you will get blur from a)camera shake and b)subject movement. So even if you used a tripod, you might still get blur if the subject is moving and your shutter speed is too slow.

I do think that was part of my problem Big Mike. I was trying to adjust it but for some reason at times the shutter speed would set itself very slow... prolly because of the lack of light and not using a flash I would think. Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back