Question on studio strobes

Alexander Dingley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a studio strobe that is affordable with high speed sync. I was looking at short duration strobes but i'm under the impression that I wouldn't be able to shoot above the max sync speed? Also if anyone knows of any good affordable power solutions for using theses strobes on location (I'm all for DIY projects for the power source if its a good option).

Out of curiosity, what sort of work are you doing? I'm not aware of any strobes that offer exactly what you want; PCB is makes a big thing out of their short duration flashes, and Profoto has some pretty quick times. There are a couple of brands that have TTL (Profoto for one), but I'm not aware of any which offer HSS.

Out of curiosity, what sort of work are you doing? I'm not aware of any strobes that offer exactly what you want; PCB is makes a big thing out of their short duration flashes, and Profoto has some pretty quick times. There are a couple of brands that have TTL (Profoto for one), but I'm not aware of any which offer HSS.

I'm starting to get into head shot photography and I was needing a flash or two that would allow me to do fill or rim light. What I really need is something to get my shutter speed up there, and I really don't want to use ND filters. I was reading some forums where people used old strobes with a longer flash duration and it allowed for a fast shutter speed. I just need a studio strobe that allows me too shoot at a high shutter speed.

Okay... colour me confused. I do lots of headshots, in everything from one to five light set-ups and have never needed to get above sync speed. What technique are you using that requires this?

Okay... colour me confused. I do lots of headshots, in everything from one to five light set-ups and have never needed to get above sync speed. What technique are you using that requires this?

I want to do outdoor portraits with a wide open aperture, so to keep the background in check I need to control the ambient light with my shutter speed.

Maybe an ND filter?

Ahhh... okay, fair enough. Apparently Profoto B1s do support HSS; I wasn't aware of that.

I would like to not use a ND if possible, as it makes focusing and composing much more difficult

You don't have to use a 9 stop. I have several that I use in conjunction with other tricks when trying to overpower the sun.

What's your definition of affordable? I think Elinchrom is affordable but Broncolor isn't.
Others might consider Broncolor affordable.

I'm starting to get into head shot photography and I was needing a flash or two that would allow me to do fill or rim light. What I really need is something to get my shutter speed up there, and I really don't want to use ND filters. I was reading some forums where people used old strobes with a longer flash duration and it allowed for a fast shutter speed. I just need a studio strobe that allows me too shoot at a high shutter speed.

I think there might be some confusion here with flash duration and HSS. Faster flash duration allows you to freeze action better while HSS has to do with the way your shutter and flash behave in order to use higher shutter speeds. I wrote an article about HSS and ND Filters as options for shooting wide open with flash outdoors with a GIF animation illustrating how this works. You can read it here if you wish.

As Tirediron mentioned the Profoto B1 is capable of HSS but this is not a cheap option. For what you want to do speedlights will be more than enough because you don't need much power.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back