Question regarding Nikon SB-600

JohnS.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently had my Nikon SB-600 sent back to Nikon under warranty because it stopped responding on TTL. As of now, it is approximately a year and 36-ish days old (bought brand new). It worked fine on manual and commander but it wouldn't fire on TTL. When the store got it back, the notes said Nikon replaced the shoe and "misc" parts (yes, very descriptive!). I shoot a lot for fun indoors and I'm constantly taking the SB-600 on and off (and into it's carrying case) because I'm insanely anal about keeping my equipment well maintained, protected, and clean.

Do you guys think that I caused damage to the shoe by taking it on and off so much? Is it better to leave it on all the time and just turn manually switch it off when I turn the camera on and don't need the flash? I only shoot as hobby and I'd hate to have to lug the flash on the camera every time I want to go somewhere just so I don't wear the shoe down again or something.

Thanks in advance!

It is probably more being careful with it, when it is mounted. If it is bumped, or pressure applied to the top of the flash when mounted.. the leverage would put a lot of stress on the shoe and the hotshoe. I would suspect something along those lines.

It is probably more being careful with it, when it is mounted. If it is bumped, or pressure applied to the top of the flash when mounted.. the leverage would put a lot of stress on the shoe and the hotshoe. I would suspect something along those lines.

I completely forgot I made this thread! lol!!

I'm assuming there's stress to the hot shoe when I turn the camera sideways or lay it down instead of setting the camera upright when putting it down? I don't use it a TON but I have used it quite a few times so a year for it to go bad doesn't seen bad at all. But if I were to start handling it more, I don't want to send it in constantly you know? If I can handle it better, I'd like to so I don't have to keep sending it in.

Most reactions

Back