[Question & Show Off] Guess I'm back in slr photography

boborone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
15+ years ago I had a late 70s model Nikon that I used for high school photography. Dad got tired of me taking his Minolta. Entered some B&W contests, won with a couple pics, graduated and sold the camera. Lately I've been pricing out used and new entry level DSLRs. So I was suprised when I was talking to my grandpa and he said I could have an SLR camera he picked up. It's a Yashica TL-Super.

Matt's Classic Cameras: Yashica TL Super
http://www.cameramanuals.org/yashica_pdf/yashica_tl-super.pdf

(EDIT: Well this forum doesn't like img tags, I was trying to save space on the servers by hosting and showing images from another site. Sorry they are links instead.)

Total loot
URL]

Camera
URL]

URL]

One of the lenses
URL]

The other one it came with
URL]

URL]

The case for the yellow filter is in Japanese. Found out it says something like:
Y2 filter with setting of 2. With ASA 100 film, set dial at 50. Do not use with color film.
URL]

Not sure what this is. Has a set screw on one side, with threads on the other, female inside threads.
URL]

URL]

Thought this was really cool. An old film case on strap with Vietnam written on it.
URL]

So I guess I'm getting back into analog photography. So that's what I have. But I had a couple questions that maybe you guys might know. I read that this has an M42 mount. Not sure what else uses that mount. Do you? And since I'm not an avid bird watcher, I'd like to find something other than the 300 mm rifle scope it has now. The other lens it came with doesn't mount to this camera. Larger than this camera's mount, still a screw type though. I think from searching it goes on a Yashika Electro 35. Haven't found what that mount is, though.

I was wondering what you recommend for DYI on fixing the light bleed issue? It's felt and rubber is all tatered and worn, crumbling off. Want to run a roll through it just to see it actually is bleeding, but it needs fixing no matter what.

And maybe because it's just a very old camera, but it doesn't quite sound like other SLRs I've used. Setting shutter speed at 250+, it doesn't feel or sound like it is going that fast. Maybe it's me, but I would like to know how you would check something like that.

I hate being a noob in a forum and starting off with questions off the bat, but eh, it said Film Q & A. So that's it guys. And if you're just dropping in to see the new posted thread, howdy from Texas. I'm Dustin.

I thought I read Pentax somewhere. I know they make good glass. Thanks.

Yes, your TL-Super uses an M42 lens mount. Many cameras were made with this mount.

Here is a good list:
Screw Mount (M42) Cameras

The lenses with the larger screw threads are called auxiliary lenses. They're for the Yashica Electro 35 rangefinder camera. You attach them to the front of the camera's fixed lens.

The little viewfinder is also for that camera.

For replacing light seals you can either buy a kit or cut them yourself.

Jon Goodman is famous for his kits. Last email address I have for him is [email protected]

Or, kits and/or materials are sold on eBay. Or, you can search for "light baffle" at Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Home

Wow man, thank you. Then I'm guessing with the accessories in the bundle going to the Electro 35, maybe the part I don't know about also goes to that.

Maybe I could do some bartering with someone who has one for a 50mm lens M42 mount for the parts I have. The book that was in the case is an Electro 35 manual. I'm sure someone would like to have that to go with their camera.

Yes, your TL-Super uses an M42 lens mount. Many cameras were made with this mount.

Here is a good list:
Screw Mount (M42) Cameras

The lenses with the larger screw threads are called auxiliary lenses. They're for the Yashica Electro 35 rangefinder camera. You attach them to the front of the camera's fixed lens.

The little viewfinder is also for that camera.

For replacing light seals you can either buy a kit or cut them yourself.

Jon Goodman is famous for his kits. Last email address I have for him is [email protected]

Or, kits and/or materials are sold on eBay. Or, you can search for "light baffle" at Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Home

Most reactions

New Topics

Back