Question to D7000 owners, are you going to upgrade to the D7100 ?

What are these capabilities that you guys are claiming that you haven't even touched yet that is preventing you from upgrading?

These are my own limitations, I am still so novice that sometime I shock myself how little I know LOL
I know how to work the mechanical side of the camera but composition is a foreign world for me and most of my pictures are ok but nothing more then that.
Whats the point in getting a badass camera if the results will look exactly the same ?

This is totally different from what your OP is conveying. You said you contemplated upgrading, but decided not to because you haven't scratched the capabilities of the D7000.
That's where my question arose, however you aren't the only one that said it. Tenthumbs mentioned that they have the camera for almost a year and after almost 12 months, the
camera is above his/her expertise.

The limitations of a camera do not take an expert to reach.

No upgrade here. I will admit that I just got the D7000. And have only been shooting with it for about a week. But it's an awesome camera, and all I need right now. I agree with some of the others, that my next camera will be a ff. I plan to keep my D7000 though.

I am interested in seeing some real test data on how the new focusing system and other improvements translate into something I might really see. So much of the stuff these new cameras have is designed to sell the product and don't have a lot of real value for someone like me that uses a single focus point and manual exposure most of the time.

Well, from someone who also got a D7000 about a little over a week ago: "****." hahaha.

That said, I knew that the D7100 was right around the corner, but assuming the price would still be higher and the D7000 prices won't plummit within the next month, I still got the D7000 without even considering upgrading. I know that the D7100 will be a hell of a camera, but I can't see all the new features making me that much better of a photographer.

Like mentioned above, I think the smarter choice would be better glass, then full frame if you've reached the limitations of the D7000. The only reason I could see someone upgrading would be if they had the disposable income, which, in that case, why not just go full frame, or they truly are a hobbyist who don't want to go full.

Well, from someone who also got a D7000 about a little over a week ago: "****." hahaha.

That said, I knew that the D7100 was right around the corner, but assuming the price would still be higher and the D7000 prices won't plummit within the next month, I still got the D7000 without even considering upgrading. I know that the D7100 will be a hell of a camera, but I can't see all the new features making me that much better of a photographer.

Like mentioned above, I think the smarter choice would be better glass, then full frame if you've reached the limitations of the D7000. The only reason I could see someone upgrading would be if they had the disposable income, which, in that case, why not just go full frame, or they truly are a hobbyist who don't want to go full.

I really like your thought process and I am indeed leaning more and more to go with Full Frame when ever I will decide to upgrade (not in the nearfuture) so now I am trying to see what lens I want but I really know very little about lenses.

There's a lot to know. What lens do you have right now?

It obviously all depends on what you want to shoot, and how you want it to look. I've done a ton of reading, and my amature opinion would be to get: all of them. Primes are fast and nice, but don't zoom. Zooms are nice but aren't as fast, or more expensive. Super zooms cover huge range, but you lose IQ. There seriously is so much to know.

I think once I get more into this hobby and a greater grasp on what I want to photograph better, then I will probably start renting or buying. I currently have the 18-200, it does a lot. But if there are apsects of that I'm using more, for instance, I find myself using the longer end of the zoom frequently, I'm thinking it would be wise to get into a better quality zoom, maybe going over 200.

If you haven't, read through this: Understanding Camera Lenses

It will give you a lot of info you may already know, but for me put things into different and better perspectives on how different focal lengths work, which helps give you an idea of what kind of focal lengths you want your glass to cover for your needs.

Maybe, the jury is still out. If I do I'll keep my D7000 though. The big thing to me is the shot buffer size. If it's larger I'd seriously consider a D7100 but if it's the same size I'm not sure an upgrade would be worth it.

Nope, I'm saving my pennies for better lenses for the next few years. I really like my D7000 and it deserves some nice glass.

There's a lot to know. What lens do you have right now?

It obviously all depends on what you want to shoot, and how you want it to look. I've done a ton of reading, and my amature opinion would be to get: all of them. Primes are fast and nice, but don't zoom. Zooms are nice but aren't as fast, or more expensive. Super zooms cover huge range, but you lose IQ. There seriously is so much to know.

I think once I get more into this hobby and a greater grasp on what I want to photograph better, then I will probably start renting or buying. I currently have the 18-200, it does a lot. But if there are apsects of that I'm using more, for instance, I find myself using the longer end of the zoom frequently, I'm thinking it would be wise to get into a better quality zoom, maybe going over 200.

If you haven't, read through this: Understanding Camera Lenses

It will give you a lot of info you may already know, but for me put things into different and better perspectives on how different focal lengths work, which helps give you an idea of what kind of focal lengths you want your glass to cover for your needs.

Here is a thread I posted with all the info I could think of, if you can add I will be very crateful!!!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon-lenses/318507-need-recomendation-lens.html#post2877624

No reason to upgrade an already great camera. If and when I do make the next jump I will be going full frame.

I am interested in seeing some real test data on how the new focusing system and other improvements translate into something I might really see.
It is not a new AF module, but an upgrade to the Multi-Cam 3500DX AF module Nikon has had since mid 2007.
As far as usability they tweeked the algorithms some and it has been upgraded a stop at the dim end, from -1 EV to -2 EV.

Camera makers love the customers that have to always have the latest and greatest.

I am interested in seeing some real test data on how the new focusing system and other improvements translate into something I might really see.
It is not a new AF module, but an upgrade to the Multi-Cam 3500DX AF module Nikon has had since mid 2007.
As far as usability they tweeked the algorithms some and it has been upgraded a stop at the dim end, from -1 EV to -2 EV.

Camera makers love the customers that have to always have the latest and greatest.

So does the TV makers like Samsung and Panasonic!

I find it very interesting that most replies to this thread mention an upgrade to FF next. Yet many folks are upset this wasn't a D400. Would/will that impact the upgrade path of d7000 owners? From this thread it does not appear so.

I find it very interesting that most replies to this thread mention an upgrade to FF next. Yet many folks are upset this wasn't a D400. Would/will that impact the upgrade path of d7000 owners? From this thread it does not appear so.

It doesn't impact me, I don't have any urge to "upgrade" to full-frame. I like DX camera bodies and plan to stick with them.

Seems to be more of an upgrade for D90 owners, maybe D300 owners with it's 1.3 crop mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back