Question to DX owners, Do you see yourself upgrading to Full Frame in the future ?

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Question directed at cropped sensor camera owners.
Do you see yourself anytime in the future (near of far) upgrading to a Full Frame camera ?

I think for me its a natural progression to move from crop sensor to Full Frame body in time as I increase my knowledge in photography and I hope in about 2 year to pull the trigger and get a full frame camera.

Last edited:
Yes At some point but I am not too concerned right now.

Nope. There is no valid reason to do so that I can see.

I plan to eventually. When/IF finances will allow. I want a D800 . I didn't have $3k so thats the only reason I bought the D7100. Then two days after i get it in the mail I see all these used cameras on ebay like d600 . oh well . I still have a lot to learn and am still concentrating on how to use/get the right lenses and learning photography etc. It's real hard figuring al lthis out without taking college courses,and having a family with 4 kids and a full time daytime (wah) job. So who knows when that will be.

Sure, one day, unless the mythical D400 comes out soon, then I’ll wait a while before FX.

I had a weird dream a couple nights ago about getting a D400, and going back to a really awesome, high-megapixel, great handling semi-pro Nikon DX body. For some uses, a high-MP crop-sensor camera is actually, well, "better". Bird photography, surfing photography both come to mind as areas where having MORE megapixels placed on a relatively small subject that is often encountered at a distance, is actually BETTER in most respects than having a bigger sensor area.

I do plan to at some point. Better high-ISO performance is mainly what I'm concerned about to be honest though, followed by more pleasant bokeh in the shots.

My answer more-so goes like this: I plan to continue investing time and money into photography as time moves forward. FX is inevitable at some point so long as I have eyes, hands, and am still alive.

Yup. I have $8k in cash saved up right now. I'm gonna continue to save and wait as long as I can in hopes that Nikon comes out with some decent rebates. If not them I'm considering picking up the 200-400 f4 and wait till next summer to grab the other toys on my list. (D800, 24-70,70-200) in case you wondered. ;)

Nope no interest in full frame at all.. but I'm a birder.. I think Nicanicon did a great job of getting everyone hyped up for full frame.. I still think for the vast majority of the world full frame is overkill.. it may produce better technical photos but it won't make you a better photographer... just my humble opinion...

I would like to upgrade to full frame, mainly for the dof really. An 80-200 is higher up on my list of priorities though.

I had a weird dream a couple nights ago about getting a D400, and going back to a really awesome, high-megapixel, great handling semi-pro Nikon DX body. For some uses, a high-MP crop-sensor camera is actually, well, "better". Bird photography, surfing photography both come to mind as areas where having MORE megapixels placed on a relatively small subject that is often encountered at a distance, is actually BETTER in most respects than having a bigger sensor area.

You're not the only one having that dream.

I'm probably going to pick up an FX rig one of these days but right now I'd rather have a newer Semi-Pro Nikon DX body since I also like to shoot sports and wildlife.

Sure, one day, unless the mythical D400 comes out soon, then I’ll wait a while before FX.
I actually have a friend in the Nikon management, he said that the D400 are all ready to be shipped.
They will ship it air mail via Pegasus
And via land mail a herd of Unicorns. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back