question?

cjkriebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if there are any school online for learing photography low cost or free. I know a little but want to learn more. I take alot of picture of family members and friends. recently a few friends of mine have asked me to take picture for them family shoots, senior pics, and homecoming pictures. I told them that I would not charge them but they are insisting on paying me.. I love photography and would really do it for free. any advice on schools would be appriciated. And if they are paying me I have no idea what to expect or ask for.

im not sure about schools and the like, but there are plenty of good books and reference sites on the net. its where i've been getting my knowledge from. also i did a quick search on google the other day for photography clubs in my area which turned up quite a few results. you might want to check and see if there are clubs in your area as well.

i know this is a bit off topic from what you requested, but it may provide you with what you need or at least a more specific direction to go in.

as far as pricing - i wish i could help you with that. :(

Thanks Chammer, I need some good reading material.. and a good photo editing software. I am using Google's free version it is very limited. but work for my picture at home. I will definitly search for some groups but I live in a very small area not sure what I will come up with. but worth a try. thanks so much.

Photo clubs and meetup groups can both be great if you're not in the middle of nowhere. meetup.com

Your library should be a good source of books on photography. Smaller, country libraries don't always have the latest books but it doesn't really matter with photography. Most of what you need to know (exposure, composition, lighting, etc) is not digital specific.

For composition, look for books on design. Design is not photo specific and it is the part most starting photographers overlook. There is a lot more to good composition than the rule of 3rd, Phi, and such and photo books tend to be pretty light on the subject.

And, let's not forget the internet. There's so much stuff available. Not all of it is good, some is actually pretty bad since some people feel they can write about things they barely know :lol: but you will learn to figure it out.

As for photo editing software, you can start with Gimp that a lot of people on this site talk about. It's free and it seems to be pretty good.

Photo clubs and meetup groups can both be great if you're not in the middle of nowhere. meetup.com

Your library should be a good source of books on photography. Smaller, country libraries don't always have the latest books but it doesn't really matter with photography. Most of what you need to know (exposure, composition, lighting, etc) is not digital specific.

For composition, look for books on design. Design is not photo specific and it is the part most starting photographers overlook. There is a lot more to good composition than the rule of 3rd, Phi, and such and photo books tend to be pretty light on the subject.

And, let's not forget the internet. There's so much stuff available. Not all of it is good, some is actually pretty bad since some people feel they can write about things they barely know :lol: but you will learn to figure it out.

As for photo editing software, you can start with Gimp that a lot of people on this site talk about. It's free and it seems to be pretty good.

Thanks I will check out my local library if I can't find anything there I will try the county library. we are out in the sticks but I think they should have something that i can dig into.. I think that I will have to try Gimp. I will check that out tonight when I get home..
Thank you so much
:thumbup:

I don't know of any classes that are free, but there are alot of resources out there. Think of what you are trying to do and then use google or even the search functionality here on the forums, as chances are someone has already asked similar advice and has been giving a list of references

Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School is a great online resource for tips and how tos.

For softwares, I would recommend gimp as well if you must have 100% free, But look at Photoshop Elements. You can get PS Elements 7 for $99 at Bestbuy. Its a simplyfied version of Photoshop that can probably do 95% of what you need. If you have the funds, Adobe Lightroom 2 is a nice software, but its $299 at Bestbuy.

I started with Photoshop, used PS Elements for a while and now am with Lightroom for regular stuff and still use photoshop for more intense work.

I think spending a fair amount of time on here reading others' critiques and discussions helps alot. Additionally, look at as many good photographs as you possibly can. An excellent site to read careful in-depth critiques is photoSIG » Main

Then, and possibly most importantly, SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT.

we are out in the sticks

How far from a decent size city are you? It may not be too much of a problem for a club or a meetup group if you can get away once a month or host the group. I just checked the PA meetup and there is quite a number of cities listed.

we are out in the sticks

How far from a decent size city are you? It may not be too much of a problem for a club or a meetup group if you can get away once a month or host the group. I just checked the PA meetup and there is quite a number of cities listed.

I live near clarion pa. about 2 hrs north of pittsburgh.

NE of Pittsburgh along I-80? I don't seem to remember much being there but it was a while back.

Are you willing to make the trip to Pittsburgh once every month or two? If there is a photo group there it might be worth the trip. It is a very photogenic city. And being Andy's city (plus some other things I seem to remember about the place) it seems to me like it should have some interesting photo groups.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back