Question

WhittyRatliff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or if it has ever been asked before, but it's worth a shot..

So, live band photography...

Tips?

My husband is playing with a band on Saturday (he's a drummer) and they want me to do their live photography. I have experimented with this before, but I just wanted to get a few more tips and ideas.

:)

Use a camera and a lens? ;)

Could you be a bit more specific?

What lens(s) do you have available?

How about the ISO performance of your camera?

Can you use strobed light?

What can you tell us about the venue where you will be shooting? Will it be dimly light? or bright?

The basics are the UBER-fastest ISO you can and stabilize your camera/body the best you can by bracing yourself against something solid/permanent or, if the opportunity might present itself, a tripod. Unlikely but don't rule it out.

Okay, you're right, I could have been more specific haha.

Okay first. Camera -check
Lens- check haha..

I don't have a very good lens (18-55) However; it's a small band, small venue, I will be able to get close.

I'm not sure of the venue yet, However; the show is in the middle of the day, so I'm thinking theres a possibility it may be outside.

Lens- check haha..

I don't have a very good lens (18-55) However; it's a small band, small venue, I will be able to get close.

I'm not sure of the venue yet, However; the show is in the middle of the day, so I'm thinking theres a possibility it may be outside.

If that is the only lens you have leave your camera at home you will be wasting your time and the bands

As of Wednesday and the venue is still an unknown? As soon as you know the venue go look it over and make some test photos.

If it's inside I agree with gsgary, don't bother.

Outside, the 18-55 will work ok if you use the middle apertures to get the sharpest focus the lens can muster. Hopefully you have developed good camera holding habits.

Use aperture priority but keep a close eye on the shutter speed and keep it above 1/250.

If the band is in hard shade you may need to increase the ISO to keep the shutter speed up. If they are in dappled sunlight, you're screwed without a good speedlight.

Lens- check haha..

If that is the only lens you have leave your camera at home you will be wasting your time and the bands

Really? Is that necessary?

As of Wednesday and the venue is still an unknown? As soon as you know the venue go look it over and make some test photos.

If it's inside I agree with gsgary, don't bother.

Outside, the 18-55 will work ok if you use the middle apertures to get the sharpest focus the lens can muster. Hopefully you have developed good camera holding habits.

Use aperture priority but keep a close eye on the shutter speed and keep it above 1/250.

If the band is in hard shade you may need to increase the ISO to keep the shutter speed up. If they are in dappled sunlight, you're screwed without a good speedlight.

Thanks for the tips.

Lens- check haha..

First time *ever* shooting a live band... and with an 18-55mm

Faded Fortune - April 30th, 2010 - a set on Flickr

Think what you will of them.

Are they perfect? Absolutely not. Is there plenty wrong with them? Definitely, but for my first time ever with the crappy@$$ lens, I don't think they're *absolutely hideous* ... I would never try to sell them... they're total beginner shots... but they don't make me want to puke like SOME of the shots I've taken, :lmao:

I think if it's your husband's band (as the above link was *my* husband's band... ironically enough HE is a drummer too... :lol: ) I say go for it :sillysmi: They're not paying you, right? So it's great practice... even WITH the 18-55mm... It's not the best lens... I'm planning my next lens purchase next month that will suit live band photography better... If that's all you have then use it. :sillysmi:

Thank you! I'm in exactly the same situation. It's not a paying gig. I just want the practice and to have shots of my husband.

Comments like the one above are why most people who want to try photography end up not doing it, If you ask for tips there's always the one person who gives the arrogant answer.. Photography is expensive! So all of us can't just go out whenever we please to buy a new lens. Some people have to work for it :) You gotta start somewhere though right?

So thank you! :)

Really? Is that necessary?

No. :lol:

Like I said... it *can* be done with an 18-55mm... just don't expect to submit them to be published in Rolling Stone :lol:

Can I ask, do they want you to photograph all of their shows from now on, or are they having you do this for something specific? (I'm just curious... haha)

I just wanted to do this mainly for my husband and also for the practice. He doesn't normally play with the band. Their drummer works out of town and he won't be in for the gig. They've used my husband as a fill-in before and wanted to get him again. Since we've been married he hasn't done a live gig. (He's been in many bands but none of them ever went live) So, this will be the first time I've seen him play live.

First time *ever* shooting a live band... and with an 18-55mm

Faded Fortune - April 30th, 2010 - a set on Flickr

Think what you will of them.

Are they perfect? Absolutely not. Is there plenty wrong with them? Definitely, but for my first time ever with the crappy@$$ lens, I don't think they're *absolutely hideous* ... I would never try to sell them... they're total beginner shots... but they don't make me want to puke like SOME of the shots I've taken, :lmao:

I think if it's your husband's band (as the above link was *my* husband's band... ironically enough HE is a drummer too... :lol: ) I say go for it :sillysmi: They're not paying you, right? So it's great practice... even WITH the 18-55mm... It's not the best lens... I'm planning my next lens purchase next month that will suit live band photography better... If that's all you have then use it. :sillysmi:

Thank you! I'm in exactly the same situation. It's not a paying gig. I just want the practice and to have shots of my husband.

Comments like the one above are why most people who want to try photography end up not doing it, If you ask for tips there's always the one person who gives the arrogant answer.. Photography is expensive! So all of us can't just go out whenever we please to buy a new lens. Some people have to work for it :) You gotta start somewhere though right?

So thank you! :)

Haha, you're welcome! Gsgary is not so bad though, so don't let this one instance rub you the wrong way against him forever :sexywink: I don't think he *meant* to be arrogant...

But yeah, those shots were my first ever of the band, like I said. I shot them in aperture priority and I'm fairly certain that I just kept the lens wide open the entire time. It was evaluative/matrix metered aaaaaaaaaaand... uh... Auto focus. Probably not the best settings, but it was my first time... I did it differently the second and 3rd time, but I was also shooting in Manual which was a whole OTHER animal to deal with! :lol:

But, LET ME WARN YOU.....

**DO NOT** auto focus your husband. It's not going to work. :lol:

EVERY single shot of Keith in that set (including the ones that didn't make the cut to flickr), he was out of focus, but his cymbals were crisp as hell... When shooting him select your focus point and focus on HIM... otherwise the AF is just going to pick out the drum set because it's closer and probably better lit -- although I can't necesarilly say that for SURE seeing as I don't know how well lit your husband WILL be... but just a warning!! :lmao:

Eh, No hard feelings. It was just a pretty unnecessary comment due to the circumstances of the situation. But, you gotta expect that though :lol:

Yeah, It's more of me just having these pictures just to have footage of the situation. I don't know how long it will be until he's able to get back out and play live again. haha

We live in a very small town and you can't find ANY musicians in the area. It's sad really.

Thank you for the HELPFUL tips haha. I appreciate it :)

No. :lol:

Like I said... it *can* be done with an 18-55mm... just don't expect to submit them to be published in Rolling Stone :lol:

Can I ask, do they want you to photograph all of their shows from now on, or are they having you do this for something specific? (I'm just curious... haha)

I just wanted to do this mainly for my husband and also for the practice. He doesn't normally play with the band. Their drummer works out of town and he won't be in for the gig. They've used my husband as a fill-in before and wanted to get him again. Since we've been married he hasn't done a live gig. (He's been in many bands but none of them ever went live) So, this will be the first time I've seen him play live.

Oh my gosh! How exciting! :sillysmi:

I almost want to say "forget the pictures! watch him play!"... but I also know you won't get the chance to shoot his playing for a while if you don't do it now.

Watching your husband play is probably one of the most sexy things you could watch him do... :sexywink:

...at least for me it is! :lmao:
Oh yes, I agree there!

Just thought I'd chip in.

There are many photographers on this site, some who have done it for years and some like your self who haven't

So there are different levels of what is acceptable. Yours will differ from Gsgary and so on.

For him the results he would get with your camera and lens setup it wouldn't be worth it, but for you if they are just to share with friends. It might be.

So take it with a pinch of salt!

Most reactions

Back