Question--

This has come up in other threads and my answer is always the same. If you enjoy pressing the shutter to make an image, you are a photographer.

Yes, but that isn't even remotely my point and not even close to what I'm saying, and I believe you know that.
You said that if it were up to you, you'd give the dictionary definition of "photographer" and insta-lock the thread.

That's pretty clear to me.

Yes. I would. It's the ONLY solution.
Well, I don't think it's the ONLY solution, especially when I don't think we're in agreement yet on the actual question being made in the OP.

You've been here not quite three years now and you've seen how many threads on this topic? And what do they all turn into? Hate mongering extravaganzas every one.
This one didn't, just as one example.

I've been here like 9 years, and I've not seen any variation from that theme myself. The reason is that there is no clear-cut definition other than the one I posted, and therefore people get to interpret that term... emotionally. And thus the wars commence. It's ridiculous and I'm sick of it.
I think a lot of that (from what I've seen) is that too many folks get hung up on that single word "photographer" and ignore the rest of the post that indicates what the REAL question is.

BTW, Buckster... for whatever it's worth... I've only continued this discussion because I respect you and your manner around these parts. Despite my emphatic arguments here, that has not changed.
Same here. Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Most reactions

Back