Questions About Hides

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread but thought I would put it here where the Wildlife people will see it to start :)

So as some of you may have gathered I have a good chunk of land (20 acres) with lots of water (river and pond). We are just starting to settle in here and I'm starting to think about putting up some hides. The waterfowl can see me from miles away (or so it seems lol) and while I love being crafty and catching them before they catch me I think having some hides up before babies start arriving would be great.

I'm looking at building at least the first one or two out of materials we have around here to get me started. I have plenty of wood to build frames and I was thinking I can cover them with a camo tarp, will that work well or is there a downside to that?

The other thing I'm wondering is locations. Are some better than others? Any do's and don'ts?

Here is an aerial of the land if that helps.

Thanks in advance guys :)

propertysolar.jpg

Consider something that won't catch the wind quite as much as a tarp, otherwise your hide will either blow away or flap in the wind spooking the wildlife. A lot of times sitting without moving is all it takes, no need for a hide, motion is the biggest give away to critters spotting you. Often times with normal activity they will get used to you being in the area and pay you no mind. With the deer and elk around here I've found if I stomp around making noise like I normally do working around the place they are at ease, sort of like they know where I am. As soon as I get quiet and try to sneak up on them, up pop the heads and soon all I see are the south ends of north bound critters.

Before picking out places to put your hides, take note of where the sun will be at different times of the day. A morning hide may not be a good evening hide because of the light. If you want to work on getting closer, pick up a few bow hunting magazines for tips on getting closer to animals.

Hey Tony, thank you.
Good point about them catching wind and making noise, I will rethink the tarp for sure.

Hmmm true about just going about things like you normally would around the house, I've been finding that with the Geese that are hanging around the pond, we were out in the vegetable garden next to the pond for a good long time yesterday weeding/raking etc and they were fine with it. It seems most critters are better with deliberate movements.

I've been spending a lot of time sitting by the pond hoping the animals become acclimated to me but at the same time I worry about the pair of Geese, I would hate to chase them off if they are nesting, should that be a concern?

As for the deer around here I have only seen tracks, they use the trails we have through the trees a lot but they are always a step (or 10 lol) ahead of me when I do hear them. Thinking about "cheating" and putting a salt lick down by the pond, in the research I've done I've often seen that luring them in is frowned upon because you are changing their habits, if they are already around is that bad?

Gosh, sorry Tony I know lots of questions! lol and that is only the tip of the iceburg. I will definitely look into the bow hunting mags, great tip! I would love to be proficient at doing it without the hides and that seems a good jumping off point.

Luring them in is a bad thing, then they become too accustomed to people providing food. In several states it's illegal to bait animals in even if it's not for hunting. Along with attracting the animals you want though, it also brings in the pests. The deer will pop out in time, most often about the time the garden really starts to grow.... if you see footprints now, they will be munching what you try to grow. lol

Don't worry about the geese. They are really tolerant of people hanging around to the point they will get aggressive before they leave a good nesting area.

20 acres !! Now that's some track of land to live on. We've got just a 1/3 of an acre, and we're taxed to death.

My best blind for hiding in is my car or truck. They are used to those in the yard and will walk right up to it.

Luring them in is a bad thing, then they become too accustomed to people providing food. In several states it's illegal to bait animals in even if it's not for hunting. Along with attracting the animals you want though, it also brings in the pests. The deer will pop out in time, most often about the time the garden really starts to grow.... if you see footprints now, they will be munching what you try to grow. lol

Don't worry about the geese. They are really tolerant of people hanging around to the point they will get aggressive before they leave a good nesting area.
Good point about the salt lick, I was really on the fence about it and glad I asked.
I'll keep an eye around the gardens for the deer, we are fencing it all in with chicken wire as the old owners did, between deer and bunnies we would be cleaned out immediately lol.
20 acres !! Now that's some track of land to live on. We've got just a 1/3 of an acre, and we're taxed to death.
We had about that size lot when we lived in town, taxes actually aren't' bad at all here but we are classed as farmland.

My best blind for hiding in is my car or truck. They are used to those in the yard and will walk right up to it.
Neat idea! The turkeys walk right up to the house and scratch around under the feeders but beat a hasty retreat at any movement... with the whole south side being windows it makes it hard to sneak up on them lol

I use this a lot... made a double layered oversized poncho out of it.. that I sewed to an old ballcap. Hangs just below the knees. Obviously cut a hole for the lens right in front of my face. I have had people almost step on me, when I am sitting or kneeling on the ground wearing it, just off a trail. It comes right off.. and the material rolls up into a ball that fits in the hat. Convenient, lightwieght and doesn't tear easily.

Amazon.com: Mossy Oak Netting (Break-Up, One Size): Sports & Outdoors

Since you don't need something quite as portable.. you won't have to wear it! But it would do well for some small blinds..

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think a lot of construction is necessary. Get yourself an old pop-up ten or something similar and throw a couple of tree branches on top. The birds/game will never know the difference after a while. Do not shower/bathe before you go out.

Nice property!

Not specifically about the hides, but have you seen the Stokes Nature Guides yet? They used to be a really common in sports/camping stores around here. If not, take a look at them - they can help you figure out where the wildlife will be most likely to hang out. Here's a link to them on Amazon:
Amazon.ca: Donald Stokes: Books#

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Charlie :) that net is neat, looks light enough you wouldn't get too hot under there which is great, I'll def pick one up at some point. As for the skunk scent ... mmmm I think I'll avoid a shower before resorting to that lol :p

Kundalini, thanks for the suggestion :) we are on a very very tight budget right now which is why I was going for something I can make out of materials I have at hand. Def something i'll put on the wish list.

Thanks Blacksheep, you will have to pop in if you are up this way :)

I hadn't heard of those, I'll check them out. I'm a bookaholic and that should answer a lot of questions I have.

Maybe I can lend you my copies of those books in exchange for a seat in the blind :)

That sounds like a solid deal! And if I get my hands on them before you can make it up this way you can still have a seat ;)

Most reactions

Back