Questions about my Canon Rebel 350D

sirsteezo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just received my canon rebel 350D today. It was a early x-mas gift and im excited to get out there and start shooting. But I also have a few questions since im a noob..here it goes.

1) The main difference between the Auto Focus and the Manual Focus.? I understand the concept of (Auto Focus). Im just lost with Manual Focus mode.

2) The basic modes: for example, when I switched it to a close-up, does it automatically give it that effect, since its in (auto focus)?

3). The Dial on the camera. the black piece behind the shutter button. I read over the manual but I still don't see it functioning?

4). On the camera under the (menu). I press menu and it comes up with..

camera 1, another option, tool 1, tool 2.

but in the manual it has...

camera 1, camera 2, another option, tool 1, tool 2

how do I get camera 2 to show?

5). the flash. How do I get the flash not to pop up automatically? I can turn it off when I select the (no flash mode) when I turn the dial.

6). shutter/iso speed. I cannot find it anywhere on the menu.

Please help,

Steven-

Auto focus will do what it says - try and do the job for you - look at the red dots in the viewfinder and that will show you what it locks on. Flash will pop up in low light in fully auto mode and most of the pre-set modes. For semi-auto switch to "P" and then you have to manually switch on the flash if you want it.
Central dial will scroll and chose items on the menu.
To acess other menu options use the laft and right arrows around the central dial

Read the manual and have a good play. Start with "Auto" and get used to the feel and then try to "P" setting which gives you choice of iso setting but will still sort out a lot of the settings for you.

In modes other than the scene settings and auto the dial behind the shutter release changes exposure or aperture.

I tend to print out the page I have trouble decyphering in the small print of the guide from the .pdf file which can make life easier.

Start with the guide and camera in hand and steadily work through it - taking exposurea as you go - you can always deete the results.

1) The main difference between the Auto Focus and the Manual Focus.? I understand the concept of (Auto Focus). Im just lost with Manual Focus mode.

Manual focus means you have to turn the focus ring on your lens until whatever you want to be in focus is in focus.

2) The basic modes: for example, when I switched it to a close-up, does it automatically give it that effect, since its in (auto focus)?

I have no idea at all what you mean by switching "it to a close up" ...

3). The Dial on the camera. the black piece behind the shutter button. I read over the manual but I still don't see it functioning?

If the camera is in "green" auto mode, it won't let you do much and will decide all settings for you. So also the dial will have no effect.

I do not know the 350, but I guess that is the way it works with that camera as well.

no idea about menus in the 350 either ...

5). the flash. How do I get the flash not to pop up automatically? I can turn it off when I select the (no flash mode) when I turn the dial.

If the camera is in "green" auto mode, it won't let you do much and will decide all settings for you. So it also decides when it wants to flash.

I think you need to learn a lot and start with the very basics ...

Steven-

The dial at the back is used in M, Tv, Av. For Tv, it regulates your shutter speed, for Av, it regulates the aperture, and for M, it regulates shutter speed, and when you hold down the Av button and move the dial, the aperture is changed. I'm pretty sure of that. Shutter speed, I just mentioned, and for ISO, I think there's a button on the top right, when you press it I think it takes you into the menu, you can then change it. Oh ya, read the manual!!! It tells you EVERYTHING.

I suggest reading the entire manual...twice. Then go out and get a good book like 'Understanding Exposure'.

camera 1, another option, tool 1, tool 2.

but in the manual it has...

camera 1, camera 2, another option, tool 1, tool 2

how do I get camera 2 to show?

I had to look at the menu on my 350 to understand what you were talking about. Use the up arrow until the menu items change color then left and right should take you between the different pages of the menu.

Need to be in manual, Av, Tv, or P modes to have any control over this really.

You need to be in manual, Av, Tv, or P mode to be able to change this.

Please help,

Steven-

thanks for answering all the questions. I know your suppose to read the manual and get familiar with the settings but I'm the kind of person that likes to ask questions for people that are familiar with the product/and to just get out there and start shooting.

..anyways. I've been reading the manual non-stop today and just getting familiar with terminology and the settings of the camera.

thanks for all your help. I'll post some pictures once I get the feel of everything.

Most reactions

Back