Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Since I was four, I've loved National Geographic. My father collected the magazines for years, and I'd pour over them for hours. Its been my dream to photography for them one day, and I've been putting a lot of effort into making that a reality. I've had the great opportunity to not only know a National Geographic fellow personally, but now to have also been given the chance to speak with my photographic idol later this month when they return from assignment with NG. For their privacy, I'm leaving the name out. The topic will be on life decisions they have made which have influenced their shooting, and the goal is for me to get some insight as to how I might spend the next 10 years with the end goal of becoming a NG Photographer.

So I thought while I was at it, I might as well see if anyone here had any suggestions, or things they would like asked? Obviously I'm not giving you much to go off of, but maybe someone has a request. The conversation has been a year in the making, and I likely wont have too much time, so what questions I ask will be key. The goal is to leave the discussion with a basic framework of what it takes to work for NG, and how I can develop the needed contacts early in my career. The photographer and I both have very similar life interests/approaches and skill-sets (not talking photography) so I'm excited to see how it goes!

Feel free to drop any suggestions, or if you have a question or two. Its not an interview, but a discussion, so I'll try to incorporate the top one or two requests into the flow.

Best,

Toga

Last edited:
My biggest curiosity would be how they got involved with National Geographic. Were they just like "hey what's up, I'd like to work for you" or were there special circumstances that got them in that position.

I know that sometimes the assignment is in the US, but for me, the travel would be a most serious consideration.

You either like it or you don't.

I have ready every word of it, and many of the published books listed. That said, an FAQ falls so short of a real discussion with a master photographer that it borders on comedy. Hopefully some find the link useful as a starting place though :)

I have my own questions already written up, I've been developing them for months. This is a chance for others to hitchhike into my discussion with the photographer.

I have ready every word of it, and many of the published books listed. That said, an FAQ falls so short of a real discussion with a master photographer that it borders on comedy. Hopefully some find the link useful as a starting place though :)

I have my own questions already written up, I've been developing them for months. This is a chance for others to hitchhike into my discussion with the photographer.

I have no questions to add, but did want to say that it's very cool of you to offer others the chance to hitchhike like that.
It sounds like you've really been working hard towards your goal - best of luck in getting there :)

For others also interested in working for a major monthly publication, the Career FAQ page says a lot in the first paragraph:
I have highlighted key points
We are often asked by aspiring photojournalists for advice about entering this highly competitive field.

National Geographic photographers have college degrees in a variety of disciplines. Most did not major in photography, but all took photo courses. The most common majors have been journalism, anthropology, sociology or psychology, fine arts, and sciences. Our editors and photographers agree that it is important to complete a degree in a discipline other than photography. Freelancers usually come to us with at least five years of photojournalism experience or with specializations such as wildlife, underwater, nature, or aerial photography. We seek balance and an eclectic blend of interests, abilities, and photographic styles in the freelancers we hire.
Note that they hire freelancers, not staff photographers.

Most reactions

Back