Questions for those who shoot shows (especially with D700)

Well, I see that my shooting style is unpopular.... oh well. I'll keep my clients happy shooting my sucky low iso anyway! I added 6 more shows to my schedule yesterday. =o) I do need to mention that since I only own D200's, I have had to adapt my style. My cameras ISO and Noise are horrible in low light. I am working with way old technology with the sensors and I know it. I'd have another opinion I'm sure if I owned the 300 or 700. As a matter of fact, I bought a Canon S95 on Monday to help in the lower light wide shots that my clients want to see (they want to see the venues and talent on stage for their advertizing). That's how much I know my cameras suck... but for economics, what do ya do? Save up for better bodies. I have to pay off my wifes car before she agreed to let me buy the D3s! lol

So, some of my advice comes from my own ignorance from not shooting the D700. I [currently] don't understand why someone wants to bust open large iso's if smaller ones will work. That's what I'm saying. Maybe it's the lenses I use that help. But that's a whole other story.

BTW: If it's not fun for us to shoot, why bother? I love your guys work and opinion even if we don't agree on this.

You all have a great day!

Last edited:
Do people complain about the brushes a painter uses to paint? No. So if your technique (not the same as style) is unconventional, who cares what you do.
I totally approve this.

But...when someone makes a thread about high iso, to say he needs to keep things low always and that over iso 1600 sucks is just plain bad and wrong advice to give. I wouldnt say your advice is out of ignorance of the d700, but more out of being out of touch with current technologies and how they have improvex, specifically with iso.

If your clients demand wider shots and they are all paying you for your work, any thought of an upgrade and / or a wide angle lens? Getting a p&s to shoot wide images is a big step back imo. What did it cost, $300? How much is a sugma 10-20, $500?

You pay for your wife car and she has to agree? let her pay for the car and buy that d3s. :p

do you have any shot we can see, website??? :p

Last edited:
Well, I see that my shooting style is unpopular.... oh well. I'll keep my clients happy shooting my sucky low iso anyway! I added 6 more shows to my schedule yesterday. =o) I do need to mention that since I only own D200's, I have had to adapt my style. My cameras ISO and Noise are horrible in low light. I am working with way old technology with the sensors and I know it. I'd have another opinion I'm sure if I owned the 300 or 700. As a matter of fact, I bought a Canon S95 on Monday to help in the lower light wide shots that my clients want to see (they want to see the venues and talent on stage for their advertizing). That's how much I know my cameras suck... but for economics, what do ya do? Save up for better bodies. I have to pay off my wifes car before she agreed to let me buy the D3s! lol

So, some of my advice comes from my own ignorance from not shooting the D700. I [currently] don't understand why someone wants to bust open large iso's if smaller ones will work. That's what I'm saying. Maybe it's the lenses I use that help. But that's a whole other story.

BTW: If it's not fun for us to shoot, why bother? I love your guys work and opinion even if we don't agree on this.

You all have a great day!

wow. really?

I played with that s95 yesterday at the store, its a a quick and nice POINT AND SHOOT. not something i would shoot shots for my client advertisement. lolzor zomg

Just wanted to thank everybody who helped me out by sharing info and expertise on this thread. I shot my brother's band's show last night and found it quite challenging. Exposing properly was just one of the many issues: obstacles (mic stands, speakers, instruments), harsh shadows created by the lights, the crowd, the temperature near the stage, etc... I tip my hat to those of you who shoot bands on a regular basis. Without your help this would've been a disaster.

I will start processing the images once I get back home this weekend... Hopefully I have a few keepers that I can share with my brother. If they are not too bad, I'll post them here on the forum.

Just wanted to thank everybody who helped me out by sharing info and expertise on this thread. I shot my brother's band's show last night and found it quite challenging. Exposing properly was just one of the many issues: obstacles (mic stands, speakers, instruments), harsh shadows created by the lights, the crowd, the temperature near the stage, etc... I tip my hat to those of you who shoot bands on a regular basis. Without your help this would've been a disaster.

I will start processing the images once I get back home this weekend... Hopefully I have a few keepers that I can share with my brother. If they are not too bad, I'll post them here on the forum.

Well... *I* was super late to this party. :lol:

Can't wait to see what you got, though! :sillysmi:

Most reactions

Back