Questions from a newbie

DigitalExposure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just joined this forum and I have some basic questions about photography.

1. Why has the SLR become so popular?

2. What does SLEV stand for?

3. What are the main types of sensors?

4. Why did 35mm film become so popular?

5. What final print image size can you get with a 12 mega pixel camera?

6. What is the largest range of ISO that a camera is likely to have?

7. What is the difference in image quality when you stop down from ISO 25, 600 to 1600?

8. How do different sensors affect exposure with an SLR when you get into low light conditions?

9. What are the types of light meters in a camera?

10. What is the best light meter setting for a camera?

11. What do histograms show about pixels?

12. When are histograms most useful?

13. How does a focal plane shutter work?

14. Why are leaf shutters used in simple point-and-shoot cameras?

15. What is full stop of light with shutter speeds?

16. What setting should you leave your camera in, when it comes to white balance?

17. What format should you shoot in when shooting in jpeg?

18. What events are fast cards used for?

19. How often should you reformat your card?

Thank you!

Why not Google all those questions man? You will learn a lot.;)

Why not Google all those questions man? You will learn a lot.;-)
It's because having someone type them out is Eeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssyyyyyy :D

There is a section here called "Welcomes and Introductions"... It's kinda nice to introduce yourself first, become a participating member of the forum, and then post a few questions that maybe you can't find the information for yourself.

Most around here firmly believe that learning photography is a time honored input/output process, and will not spoon feed you if you're not willing to put your own time in.

Because they're so versatile, and because they have the most potential for high image quality relative to their price.

Not sure.

CMOS is one. Not sure about the others.

Because the negative is big enough so that it doesn't need to be enlarged too much (thus losing image quality) but small enough as to remain convenient.

Depends on your standards. I'd say 11x14 or 15x20.

An SLR? 100-3200.

7. What is the difference in image quality when you stop down from ISO 25, 600 to 1600?
This is not stopping down. Stopping down refers to aperture, not sensitivity. When you raise sensitivity, you also lose detail and gain grain.

8. How do different sensors affect exposure with an SLR when you get into low light conditions?
No sure. But the bigger the better.

Evaluative, center-weighted, and spot.

In modern cameras, the sensor that is built in.

Not sure how to explain this.

They're not useful for me.

There are two curtains: one slides open, the other slides closed. The speed at which this happens is the shutter speed.

They're also used in high-end medium format & large format cameras. They're simpler & faster. Since there's only one lens, why not build the shutter into the lens and save money? (doesn't apply to medium & large format)

Each time you halve the shutter speed, you're getting one full stop less light.

16. What setting should you leave your camera in, when it comes to white balance?
I wouldn't. It changes depending on the light source. If you're going to leave it anywhere, it had better be 'auto'

jpg is the format.

Don't know what this is.

I reformat whenever I empty the card. Don't know if it matters or is just an easy way to delete it.

Thank you![/QUOTE]

For more details, you're going to have to put some more work into this yourself. The others were getting at this, but maybe being a little rude about it. (we get lots of questions like this every day because people would rather have the answers spoon fed to them, and they don't realize that they get asked every day)

Thanks. Yes, these are for a homework assignment in photography class and were actually covered in a video we watched which I wasn't present to see. I Googled all the questions and found the answers for about half of them (which I didn't post here), but the answers I found for these questions were a bit confusing, since there were contrasting answers on different web sites. Mods can feel free to delete this thread if they like.

Histograms are useful in obtaining proper exposure.

p!nK

Thanks. Yes, these are for a homework assignment in photography class
You could have said it was for a class, would have got answers quicker ;)

Thanks. Yes, these are for a homework assignment in photography class
You could have said it was for a class, would have got answers quicker ;)

You are quite lucky you decided to post your homework on TPF, as a couple I frequent, as a practicing newbie would of :
a) informed you you how much of their time you have wasted
b) hit you with photography jargon that would ultimately ended in a complexity not even Google could help
c) said F Off with no replies

Make sure you say Thank you:thumbup:

Because they're so versatile, and because they have the most potential for high image quality relative to their price.

Not sure.

CMOS is one. Not sure about the others.

Because the negative is big enough so that it doesn't need to be enlarged too much (thus losing image quality) but small enough as to remain convenient.

Depends on your standards. I'd say 11x14 or 15x20.

An SLR? 100-3200.

This is not stopping down. Stopping down refers to aperture, not sensitivity. When you raise sensitivity, you also lose detail and gain grain.

No sure. But the bigger the better.

Evaluative, center-weighted, and spot.

In modern cameras, the sensor that is built in.

There are two curtains: one slides open, the other slides closed. The speed at which this happens is the shutter speed.

They're also used in high-end medium format & large format cameras. They're simpler & faster. Since there's only one lens, why not build the shutter into the lens and save money? (doesn't apply to medium & large format)

Each time you halve the shutter speed, you're getting one full stop less light.

I wouldn't. It changes depending on the light source. If you're going to leave it anywhere, it had better be 'auto'

jpg is the format.

Don't know what this is.

I reformat whenever I empty the card. Don't know if it matters or is just an easy way to delete it.

Thank you!

For more details, you're going to have to put some more work into this yourself. The others were getting at this, but maybe being a little rude about it. (we get lots of questions like this every day because people would rather have the answers spoon fed to them, and they don't realize that they get asked every day)[/QUOTE]There's an enabler in every crowd. :lol:

Most reactions

Back