quick critique

CannonKid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, this is a picture i took with my film camera, it is scanned so it hasn't been edited or cropped. What do you think? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

zmacroflower.jpg

needs a bump in contrast and a different crop, but other then that, i like it

Hi Tavis, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
This photo was taken with a nicely large aperture which created a very pleasing DOF, but it could do with a bit more contrasts, that much is for sure. If it were mine, I'd apply the photo cutter to the print and crop it so the flower in focus is out of the very centre of the frame, and if only a little.
My "holding-paper-to-the-screen"-cropping-method :)wink: ) even showed that it might look stronger as a vertical crop... test it out.

Thanks LaFoto and Fighttheheathens!

I will try that today. I'm pretty new with photoshop so i'll have to learn how to fix contrasts in there but i'm pretty familiar with cropping. Do you think i should leave most of the left side of the photo, and just crop it up to the right out of focus flower? Sorry i'm just really new.

After hearing what you guys had to say i realized that yes...it could be a little brighter. Is photoshop any good for a beginner? Or should i stick to the software the rebel xti came with until i learn a bit more? I'm okay with layers and stuff but to be honest i've only made flyers in photoshop for events i've held, very straightforward stuff. I found some great tutorials on the net so i'ma look into to those and then attempt to fix the photo! I'm glad that people think it's alright tho - i took that the first 2 weeks i had the film camera! Man sometimes i wish i could make a cheap darkroom (just for doing negs not making prints) cause i really do love the film. Rebel is still really good too tho :)

Tav

As to your question on Photoshop ... it dazzled me a lot when I only just started out taking digital photos and I kind of feared using it since I did not have a clue about anything there, so for a while I stuck to the software that had come with my scanner, but after a while I tried out this and that and other things and got more familiar with the basics ... which is where I am now stuck, I'm afraid, but those very basics take me where I want to get to, so that is all right for me.

And yes, there are times when I feel I would like to know more about darkroom work and have the chance to not only develop my own films but also test my hands on making prints, just to learn more, and go more towards the "roots" of it all, alas!, that's not given...

Ah, and well, I was not thinking of a square size photo with the lefthand side left untouched, but that would be one more idea that is worth exploring! I was more thinking of a vertical crop, maintaining the standard print sizes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back