Quick guide to mucking around with adjustment layers

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This tutorial is more to show what adjustment layers can do, rather than how to accheive desired results. Why use adjustment layers? Well, the changes are done in a layer, instead of the image itself. Therefore, once you save your file, you can always go back on tweak it! yay! Beware of large file sizes!! One note here, i exaggerated outcome of this result so hopefully it more a demonstrates of possibilties:

Original image:
Darn, colours a bit flat :scratch:
a1.jpg

:idea: I'll pump of the saturation! however, i just don't feel like the colour blue today :scratch:
a2.jpg

:idea: Ah reds and yellow are the order of the day with colour balance! the image is still a bit dark :scratch:
a3.jpg

:idea: I'll just play around with the levels!. Darn foreground is still a bit dark. :scratch:
a4.jpg

:idea: ok so its not an adjustment layer here. What I did was duplicate the main image. On the duplicated layer I right clicked and choose layer options->screen->85%. After that i erased the sky so it would not be blown out but i can now see whats going on with the foreground :cheer:
a5.jpg

When i wake the next day and think whooah, what was i thinking :shock: , with adjustment layers i can always go back and change 'em. Ya gotta love it!!

Outstanding.
i can see the teacher in you, dude. once a teacher, always a teacher, eh?

Nice tutorial, Mark. Always nice to learn different ways to do things in PS. The last step of duplicating and screening was new to me. I do contrast masking a similar way, but had not seen that particular technique before.

Thanks!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back