Quick Lassen Panorama

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nothing too special, just a quick panorama shot during this past weekend's hiking through Lassen Volcanic National Park. I thought some of you who might be stuck indoors might enjoy it! 14 images in total, snapped as I was leading a my local photo club (UCD Photo Club) on weekend of hiking through my old backyard.

Hat Lake Panorama by TogaLive, on Flickr

Link to full-sized version.

In interested... Did you take these in a portrait or landscape orientation?

It looks as you did landscape. However if you already didn't know I'll give ya a quick tip. If you shoot in portrait you'll actually gather a lot more detail and image size!

very nice work! i love how the lines of the river (is it?) lead the eye

Thanks! It's Hat Creek, so pretty close!

Nice. I used to go camping near there.

It is a beautiful place, hell, the whole park is gorgeous! It's probably my favorite National Park yet now that I've really gotten to explore so much of it.

In interested... Did you take these in a portrait or landscape orientation?

It looks as you did landscape. However if you already didn't know I'll give ya a quick tip. If you shoot in portrait you'll actually gather a lot more detail and image size!

This was taken in landscape, but the same pano was taken in portrait orientation, and I much preferred this version of it (both were handheld). Shooting in portrait at 17mm means more vertical distortion, which in my opinion, adds a funky look to the final blended image. Also, I don't believe it adds any more "detail", essentially the same number of images were used in each pano (12 in vertical, 14 here, plenty of overlap), so I'm still utilizing roughly the same number of pixels, the same base stock of photos. I'd do it if I wanted to capture more of the sky, but the sky really didn't add much beyond what's shown, hence the long and tight crop. Or perhaps I'm missing something? I appreciate the heads up and CC though!

Last edited:
I wish that I still lived in the area. Nothing like Nor Cal. You should take your club on a trip to Chico. Awesome place to photograph. One Mile, Five Mile, Horse Shoe Lake, Bear Hole.

Most reactions

Back