Quick question about lens sizes?

blinded

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering....
(sorry if it is a really dumb question)
Can you get the same picture with a 50mm lens, as a 28mm lens, if you were to move back a bit?

Thanks!

I dont beleive you could because you are going into the range of distortion for the 28mm lens (objects seem bigger closer up and things farther away are very close (exaggerates depth)). 50mm lens is more like what you see in life (human eye). If you go telephoto you would compress the background and make everything seem really close together.

The simple answer is no you cannot with that small of a mm. :shock:

Different mm lenses produce different effects, that is why most people tell you to stick with a 50mm lens or a fixed focal length, because you cannot just use your zoom to capture the same picuture in the distance if you just zoomed in, rather than actually getting closer with a 50mm lens.

Hope that helped :D

photoman said:
I dont beleive you could because you are going into the range of distortion for the 28mm lens (objects seem bigger closer up and things farther away are very close (exaggerates depth)). 50mm lens is more like what you see in life (human eye). If you go telephoto you would compress the background and make everything seem really close together.

The simple answer is no you cannot with that small of a mm. :shock:

Different mm lenses produce different effects, that is why most people tell you to stick with a 50mm lens or a fixed focal length, because you cannot just use your zoom to capture the same picuture in the distance if you just zoomed in, rather than actually getting closer with a 50mm lens.

Hope that helped :D

Thanks, that did help.

I have another question, I might as well make it in the same thread. What is the main difference between a fisheye adaptor and a "real" fisheye lens? I've got a kenko fisheye adaptor for my DV cam but I didn't even know they existed for Film Cameras.

Once you move, you change your perspective relationship to the subject, and therefore it may look different.

If you stand in the same place and take a photo with a 28mm and a 50mm, then you could actually crop a composition identical to that made by the 50mm lens out of the center of the image made with a 28mm lens.

The difference between a fish-eye lens and a fish-eye adaptor is quality. If you took the same photo with both the lens and the adapter...you would notice that the image taken with the real fish-eye lens would be sharper, especially around the edges. The adaptor would probably produce images that are not very sharp, especially around the edges. Of course, if you compare the prices...the lenses are much more expensive. So, pretty much like everything else in photography...you get what you pay for.

Then again, if the fish-eye effect is more important than getting perfect picture quality (and money is a factor)...go for the adaptor. :)

Most reactions

Back