Quick question about shooting live bands

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Onboard flash usually looks terrible, but I've seen a fair amount of shots with off camera flash that'd I'd consider amazing. I agree with ksmattfish that flash, like most other pieces of gear, has it's purpose and when used skillfully can enhance shots tremendously.

You have taken it out of context. Using strobes is a wonderful skill to have, but they NEVER have any place at a well prepared live gig. Simply being is that the camera can't capture the music. The only thing left from the show is then the stage display. Using a flash, even a fill flash, 99.99% of the time will destroy the intended effect of the show by overpowering the lights or adding a light that simply didn't belong.

I mentioned fill flash too with care since there have been shows where the band was purposely backlit. Tempting as it may sound to fill flash the band if they wanted you to see them they would have added a front light themselves.

From last Saturday.

Sunpak 383 on the balcony behind the performer to create texture on the wall and one above and in front to the right of the camera with a shoot through umbrella.

Two flashes. So HA!

With ambient. Flat, dull, boring, and not as dramatic. Also, ISO 4000 1/40 instead of ISO 100 and 1/160.

fair enough, i always thought photographers just had some "non intrusion" rules of their own... guess I'm just a little more courteous than others.

I handle promotions for 2 two bands, and when people show up with cameras and want to shoot pictures, I don't ask questions. That guy's stuff could show up anywhere with the bands name attached to it and give them free exposure. Granted you have no idea if the photographer is any good, but you also don't know if they are bad. Unless your friend's band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers, that photographer was doing them a favor every time he hit the shutter as long as he shows it to someone later. Check your local papers and even if there are any popular local web news or nightlife websites. There might be cool pictures and a nice article about the bands performance.

You have taken it out of context. Using strobes is a wonderful skill to have, but they NEVER have any place at a well prepared live gig. Simply being is that the camera can't capture the music. The only thing left from the show is then the stage display. Using a flash, even a fill flash, 99.99% of the time will destroy the intended effect of the show by overpowering the lights or adding a light that simply didn't belong.

I mentioned fill flash too with care since there have been shows where the band was purposely backlit. Tempting as it may sound to fill flash the band if they wanted you to see them they would have added a front light themselves.

I can see where you're coming from, but I've never been to a show that allowed dSLRs that was well prepared, lighting wise. Most of the shows I go to are at the local clubs around here and the performers just use the venue's light rig, which is relatively flat. The "well prepared" part of your post is the kicker. I'd agree with you on that, it's just that most shows aren't well prepared and if a photographer can tastefully use flash (which I belive is certainly possible) without breaking any rules, more power to them.

That being said, the majority of shows I go to, if I were to shoot them I would not use flash because I could hopefully manage or atleast try to seek out shots with neat lighting effects. You may have taken me out of context because I was not supporting the use of flash all the time, I was arguing that I don't believe flash automatically destroys shows. I believe VillageIdiot's post with examples will support me.

From last Saturday.

Sunpak 383 on the balcony behind the performer to create texture on the wall and one above and in front to the right of the camera with a shoot through umbrella.

Two flashes. So HA!

Way to go proving my point. A flash behind the performer, and one to the right, and an umbrella to boot. This isn't a performance this is a photoshoot :p Let me say my idea of a performance is not something where people have even the slightest chance to position an off camera flash let alone carry around an umbrella and stands.

I can see where you're coming from, but I've never been to a show that allowed dSLRs that was well prepared, lighting wise.

Indeed Village's post does support. We are talking about different types of ''shows''. If a performance doesn't have a dynamic light show of its own, then it is not a performance as I was talking about, more like a bunch of musicians making some music. Also depends on the pub too. Many of our local pubs provide light shows. But yeah we're all on the same page now.

Indeed Village's post does support. We are talking about different types of ''shows''. If a performance doesn't have a dynamic light show of its own, then it is not a performance as I was talking about, more like a bunch of musicians making some music. Also depends on the pub too. Many of our local pubs provide light shows. But yeah we're all on the same page now.

Ok, I get where you're coming from now. Yeah, most shows here just use the in-house lighting rig with pretty static and boring light. The shows that actually provide light shows are too big to allow SLR cameras to be brought in 90% of the time.

Ok, I get where you're coming from now. Yeah, most shows here just use the in-house lighting rig with pretty static and boring light. The shows that actually provide light shows are too big to allow SLR cameras to be brought in 90% of the time.

see around me, the so called "pubs" in chicago have nice stages with good lighting and whatnot... they attract talented bands to play.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back