Quick question on Nikon 50mm f1.8D

jrizal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok. I just received this lens from the mail two hours ago and I am just toying with it and also doing additional research on it. I know AF on this lens does not work with cameras without focus motors built-in such as the D3100 which I own and is fine by me. However, whenever I adjust the aperture lock I get this error message "Lock lens aperture at minimun aperture". In the short time I have been researching, I still can't find a direct answer. But I am suspecting that this may be due to the lack of an AF motor in my camera. It's not really an issue to me as I shoot primarily in manual mode. However, must say I am curious about the answer. Perhaps more knowledgeable members out there can can explain or give the precise answer. Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with AF. Turn the aperture ring to f/22 and lock it there (lock will be over f/2.8).

This will allow your camera to set the aperture to the entire range of 1.8 to 22.

the aperture will be set by the camera, not by the lenses aperture ring. lock the aperture ring to its smallest setting (highest number) and set the f/stop in camera.

Last edited:
That's true and in the couple of hours that I've owned the lens, that's what i've been doing. And for the price and level of the lens, it's great. I just want to further toy around with the lens so I can experiment with shutter priority mode. Aperture priority obviously works at f22. Perhaps, it's just like like that. I don't have access to a D90 or D7000 to further try it out. But i am just curious. ;)

PS Please forgive my curiosity. But I am liking this lens with no regrets on the purchase. :)

PS no. 2 with the two answers abov which I've just read. I guess it's really like that. So really it's time to take some pictures. Thanks for the insights guys.

aperture priority just means that you set the aperture in camera, and the camera decides the rest of the settings. for your in camera aperture control to function, your lenses aperture ring should always stay locked at f/22, that should never change, even using the camera in manual mode. the ability to autofocus lenses has no bearing on the aperture control. aperture priority will allow you to set the aperture to whatever the lens is capable of being set to, not just f/22.
shutter priority, like aperture priority, means that you set the shutter speed and the camera decides the rest. it also has no bearing on the cameras ability to autofocus lenses.

the only thing you'd gain with this lens if you used a d90/d7000 is autofocus, everything else will be exactly the same

In short my camera simply does not support locking the camera at a lower aperture number say a max value of f/16 which is no biggie for me. In either manual or aperture priority mode, I have full control of the aperture values. As of now, my curiosity has been satisfied. :)

In short my camera simply does not support locking the camera at a lower aperture number say a max value of f/16 which is no biggie for me. In either manual or aperture priority mode, I have full control of the aperture values. As of now, my curiosity has been satisfied. :)

no newer camera uses the lenses aperture ring anymore. the D90, D7000 and others all set the aperture in camera, where the lenses ring is always locked at the highest number. (newer nikon G lenses dont even have an aperture ring at all) your camera supports ALL the apertures of the 50mm lens, you just have to set the f/stop in the camera, not on the lens itself. even though the ring is locked at f/22, the actual aperture is controlled by the camera, and when you take the picture, the f/stop will be whatever the camera is set at. IE: if you set the camera at f/1.8, that is the aperture that will be used when you take the picture. NOT f/22.

the only thing you'd gain with this lens if you used a d90/d7000 is autofocus, everything else will be exactly the same

Does that mean I can't lock aperture at f/16 when I want to use shutter priority using either of these two models? I know AF works on these models. For discssion purposes that would be nice to know as others may have similar questions. But I'm really happy with my initial test shots and quite prepared for the limitations on having a body that has no AF motor. :)

no newer camera uses the lenses aperture ring anymore. the D90, D7000 and others all set the aperture in camera, where the lenses ring is always locked at the highest number. (newer nikon G lenses dont even have an aperture ring at all) your camera supports ALL the apertures of the 50mm lens, you just have to set the f/stop in the camera, not on the lens itself. even though the ring is locked at f/22, the actual aperture is controlled by the camera, and when you take the picture, the f/stop will be whatever the camera is set at. IE: if you set the camera at f/1.8, that is the aperture that will be used when you take the picture. NOT f/22.

Thanks again for clarifying. :)

Last edited:

Does that mean I can't lock aperture at f/16 when I want to use shutter priority using either of these two models? I know AF works on these models. For discssion purposes that would be nice to know as others may have similar questions. But I'm really happy with my initial test shots and quite prepared for the limitations on having a body that has no AF motor. :)

you can set the aperture at whatever you want, you just set it in the camera not using the lens ring. not having an AF motor in the camera doesnt affect the cameras ability to change apertures.

Does that mean I can't lock aperture at f/16 when I want to use shutter priority using either of these two models?.......

No. You will receive the same error message, even if you want the aperture to be f/16. The camera KNOWS the lens goes down to f/22, and setting the lens to anything else will result in the error message.

Just set the lens at f/22, lock it there, and never touch the aperture ring again. Use the camera to set the aperture you want.

Even if you have a build-in focus motor, you can't use the aperture ring on the lens?

Most reactions

Back