Quick question...

*LoveMyLife09*

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I already have a Tamron 28-80mm Aspherical lens would the 18-55mm lens be pretty much worthless? I may be getting a 30d with the 18-55mm included but if that deal falls through, should I bother ordering it seperatly? The package also includes a 75-300mm which I will be ordering even if the deal falls through so I will have the 75-300mm and 28-80mm regardless. Will I find use for the 18-55mm or is there a different lens that I would benifit from? I will be shooting mostly my kids (portraits, sports, etc) and landscapes and some macro (I am ordering the 50mm 1.8 as well).

Is the Tamron 28-80mm a pretty good lens?
Oh and if the deal for the canon 75-300mm does fall through how does the Tamron 75-300mm compare to the canon 75-300mm?

Thanks everyone!!!:D

There is a big difference between the field of view that you get at 18mm and what you get at 28mm. So if you want to be able to get a wide view, then get the lens with the lower focal length.

Thank you. I JUST found that first site when you posted it. If I wasn't given the lens for free I definitly wouldn't have ordered it. I don't have my digital camera yet so I was just wondering what others thought about it. Now I know, thanks again.

Ok, thats what I thought. I just wasn't sure if it would be worth it to get the 18-55mm or if there was a different lens that would be of more use. I will keep researching lenses in my price range. Thanks.

I was just looking at reviews for the 75-300mm and the 70-210mm both Canon. It looks like the 70-210mm is a little better, would it be worth losing the extra focal length? Which of these would you recommend? I am still reading up on both of them. If I go with the 70-210mm is there a longer telephoto lens for around $200 that is any good or would I not need that extra length?

whether you need the extra length is up to you and what you shoot- indoors probably not; for wildlife it would be nice. Back you your original question, Bigmike has a good point, 18mm does make a huge difference from 28. I had a canon 28-135 already when I got my 20d, but it came with a cheap sigma 18-125 and I thought I would never use it because the canon is a much nicer lens- especially with IS. I definitely find myself using the sigma more than I thought- not exceptional image quality but better than not having the image you want.

Also the longer you get, the less difference you'll notice. Between my 70-300 and my 100-400, there is not a huge difference in how close you make a subject appear.

Most reactions

Back