Quick self portrait

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
turned on the timer and jumped into the frame for this one. I only had one try, since i was waiting for a friend to get there for a little project I was working on for my photo class. unfortunately i couldnt control the framing :) just thought i'd share...

tech info:

85mm
f8
ISO 400
conversion in PS

2 lights, one modifier

daniel-sm.jpg

you suck! :p ;)

Daniel,
could you show us a diagram of the lighting set up here?

The way your eyes are lit is one of my --- no: my absolutely favourite manner in which eyes can be lit, I think. Soooo cool!

Very nice. You should be happy with the results on many levels.

Did you consider making this a horizontal composition, cropping just above the left elbow? While the chairback gives reason for your arms to be where they are (which is important), it creates some horizontal lines, including your right arm. Hmmm.... I can't chose.

On a personal note: GOD, I miss hair! Back when I could still grow hair, it looked like yours. These days, I look like a troll.

LaFoto said:
The way your eyes are lit is one of my --- no: my absolutely favourite manner in which eyes can be lit, I think. Soooo cool!

I agree, first thing I noticed were your eyes! Very nice portrait!

thanks so much guys! ChristiePhoto, i really wish i could have done a horizontal composition now...i'd crop it but i'd have to crop it so tight that i'm afraid i'd lose too much of the rest of the photo (i didnt crop this version). I'll probably do an 8x10 crop though, to lose some of the dead space at the bottom.

here's a very basic diagram of the lighting i used:

daniellighting.jpg

the reason for the dark green cloth (if you were wondering) was that it actually put a darker green tone on the right side of the face. I wanted a fairly high contrast between shadows and midtones when i was shooting, so i used a red filter (i was shooting b&w film) and the gradiation of tones was smoother. this didnt really make a difference for digital though, and just acted as a light absorber. The 'homemade softbox' was actually a film light box (around 2.5 by 3 feet) turned on its end :).

Great self portrait Daniel! your eyes really stand out, I like that. And thank you for sharing the lighting setup diagram to us.

Thanks Daniel.

What is the 'small light'?

it's a cheap hot light from freestyles that was donated to our class. it has a silver 10" reflector on it, but besides that it's basically a really bright light bulb :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back