Quirky little hot pixel... I bet you never had one like mine!

bla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I've had this hot pixel on my camera for a while now, but that's not the problem. The strange thing is, the white dot will show up at 200 ISO, 1/50 exposure... not the most likely settings for these things to show up.

But even weirder: if I crank up the ISO to 800, and the exposure to 5 seconds, the hot pixel will be gone. Nothing there... with the lens hood on, its just black where the white dot is supposed to be. And yes, I have disabled Long-exposure Noise Reduction as well as High-ISO Noise Reduction; they do not appear to be the culprit.

Has anyone else had this type of thing happen? Is it weird :raisedbrow: ? If yes... please tell what's going on?

Thanks

Never had this happen, it would help if you could post some examples.

Good idea, here goes:

Lens cap on, ISO 400, 1/60 seconds (Long-exposure NR off, High ISO NR off)
DSC_0001.jpg

Lens cap on, ISO 800, 1/60 seconds (Long-exposure NR off, High ISO NR off)
DSC_0002.jpg

Lens cap on, ISO 800, 2 seconds (Long-exposure NR off, High ISO NR off)
DSC_0003.jpg

All the pictures were zoomed to 100%, so while the crops may not be of the same size, the pixels should be. The hot area seems smaller at 400 ISO than 800 ISO, but I'm at a loss as to why it's gone when I increase the exposure.

the white dot will show up at 200 ISO, 1/50 exposure... not the most likely settings for these things to show up.

Yeah it is. Ok a bit early, but you'd expect them around the 1/50 mark at ISO800. It's also not entirely unheard of that pixels become "unstuck" and are only hot for a given time period.

Post a colour photos and I think you will find that the unstuck pixels after 2 seconds will actually be darker by 1/50th of a second... err actually good luke proving that exposure but I think you get what I'm saying.

If you're worried about it send it off to get mapped out.

I have two or three hot-pixels on my d80 that show up randomly. They've shown up in ISO 100 images, ISO 400 and ISO 800, but then I have a number of other images at those ISO's taken after I noticed them, and they weren't there.

What camera are you using?

Thanks for the info Barbz, it's rather annoying, so I may map it out. Anyone know how much a Nikon Service Centre charges for this kind of stuff?

I have two or three hot-pixels on my d80 that show up randomly. They've shown up in ISO 100 images, ISO 400 and ISO 800, but then I have a number of other images at those ISO's taken after I noticed them, and they weren't there.

What camera are you using?

I have the d80 as well, I've read a few threads with people complaining about hot pixels. Mine isn't so bad, except for this weird one that appears at shorter exposure but not the longer ones. I plan on heading into a Nikon Service Centre in about 2 weeks and see what they say. I'll probably post whatever results in this thread, so check back later if you'd like to see how it turns out. Do your pixels follow a trend or are they really completely random?

Most reactions

Back