Quit smoking, started vaping, feel a lot better.

You are awesome. :smile: Thank you for the quick reply!

I eventually got frustrated with the build quality of the ones that I had bought (They weren't Kanger's at the time which I cited as a suggestion earlier in the thread, I'm sure those are good.) So I upgraded.

He needs something of good build quality. He’s the type of person that if it feels cheap, it won’t work for him. So, it sounds silly, but something that is heavier, made of metal, and not made of plastic is pretty much a requirement.

Going from Cigs to an EGO battery based one was no big deal. Sure it was a different throat hit when I first tried it. Coughed a little bit the first few pulls, and then was totally acclimated with it. <snip> However, the mod system is much more similar to smoking actual cigs, and that's what he would probably be in the market for.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. He needs something that is similar to smoking actual cigs. He tried the electronic cigarettes probably a decade or so ago, and he didn’t like it. Now, that’s pretty much his impression of all e-cigs/vaping. He needs something strong and that will be similar to smoking cigarettes.

The only other words of advice are to buy primarily VG based liquids, as they are the higher quality ones. If you need some specifics as far as a starter setup, I can whip something up for you. You don't need something specific for a persons tastes, you can put any flavor of liquid in any tank more or less.

I know they have all types of flavors, so this might sound silly, but do they have ‘cigarette’ flavored liquids? He’d probably like that the best. Also, what are VG based liquids? If you could whip up a quick setup, that would be awesome.

How much would you be looking to spend as an initial investment for him?

We haven’t really discussed a price, but we realize that it’d be an investment. What is the typical cost of a system? We both kind of agreed that we could see spending $100-$150 to include both the initial investment and lots of liquid refills. Is that a good enough budget?

Okay, well here's what I've got for you. I have a discontinued version of this tank, basically what they updated was the build quality (which is already great) and the airflow vents. You can see on mine there's three holes. That ring with the vents rotates, so there are either 1, 2, or 3 of the air holes exposed. Which can dramatically effect your experience. Now that I have adjustable airflow I love it. Depending on the liquid I can open up or close it down (like an aperture haha) for better flavor/vape production.

Kanger SUBTANK-PLUS clearomizer KangerTech

The AWESOME thing about this tank which I have yet to get into, is that you can rebuild your own coils. So if he's crafty and likes working with his hands, there are TONS of guides on building your own coils to suit your needs. However, it's not necessary you do that. They make .5 ohm replacement coils with organic cotton which are generally what I buy. But the ability to have it be either way is pretty cool. Most tanks are either strictly rebuildable or strictly you buy your coils from the manufacturer.

In order to be compatible with that, you'd need to get a "mod" which is capable of working with sub ohm coils.

XPro M36 Mod Silver

This one is compatible, and this is the one that I use. There are plenty of other ones, but I have a suspicion that WeePete would know more about those than myself.

This is the one I want, because it's sexy. But as you can see it's a bit cost prohibitive.

Vaperev Shop - Five Pawns Edition Vapor Flask V2.1 DNA 40 - Vapor Flask - Variable Voltage Wattage - Devices

As far as liquids, yes there are definitely tobacco flavors. I'll be honest though, they don't taste like smoking a cig specifically, well because honestly that would be pretty vile. They do have a deep flavor profile and are enjoyable. Each one with individual characteristics. Some with hints of bourbon, others with creme, others more of a rugged earthy flavor similar to tobacco.

I'll throw some liquids here that I personally have liked.

Space Jam Juice

These are all very high quality liquids. I've had Eclipse and Venus.

E Cigarette Buy Electronic Cigarettes Online E Juice - Mt Baker Vapor

I recently started ordering from here. Just watch when you're ordering. The higher concentration of PG (propylene glycol) is at the top. You'd probably want to get either straight VG (Vegetable glycerin) or an 80/20 VG/PG mix. I made the mistake of ordering 20/80 VG/PG at one point so it was very thin which generally is better for higher resistance coils.

So total investment for me when I got this setup was ~150USD. With the mod, tank and some bottles of liquid.

Where abouts are you located? Do you know if you have any vape shops near you? They often will have samples for you to try or smell if you wanted to get a good idea of what they'd be like before ordering them.

Also, as heavy of a smoker he is, you'd probably want to start off in the 24mg nicotine range. I started at 18mg because I wasn't smoking a large amount of cigs on the daily.

At the moment there is a lot of BS and misinformation around vaping, from both the pro and the anti vaping camp. It's perpetuated by extremely poor science reporting in the media. There's also polical camps with people in public health circles who are so against vaping that they are are being disengenuous and playing fast and loose with the statistics.

Methodology of a lot of research papers are still in question with reseachers using previous generation of e-cigs to get their data. One of the major issues is the use of machines to produce the vapour for the experiments and concern over if they are firing too long and burning the e-liquid and the wick as just one example.

There's also a battle being fought in the background for control over who is going to end up as the big players in the e-cig market with both Big Pharma and Big Tobbacco trying to get as big a slice of the pie as possible where most vapers want neither and would prefer to use smaler independant companies. These two groups are lobbying behind the scenes and both are pusing for legislastion that will tip the market in their favour.

Many vapers are concerned about regulation and rightly so. The EU TPD (for us in europe) will lump e-cigs in with tobbaco control measures and the big fear is that they will be regulated to the point of ineffectiveness which will push a lot of vapers back on to the stinkies.

It also needs to be born in mind that vaping offers massive benefits in a harm reduction context for those who are unable or unwilling to stop using nicotene completely and paralells are being drawn with nicotene inhalators which were approved for long term use last year by the FDA.

When talking about the health effects of vaping it's important to frame it in context and have a comparison to smoking and while more reasearch is needed and more good quality reseach is also needed initial finding place vaping somwhere between 100-400 times safer than tobbaco cigarettes. Of course where we will really find the result is going to be in death rates in 25-30 years time when we can study smoking related diseases in long term vapers. Until then it's pretty much all speculation.
I'm very anti smoking and now vaping, smoking killed my dad at the age of only 45 I won't have anyone vaping near me

Okay Gary, great thing is this is the internet. So no one's vaping near you. If you don't have anything of substance to contribute, I hope you have an awesome day buddy!

I eventually got frustrated with the build quality of the ones that I had bought (They weren't Kanger's at the time which I cited as a suggestion earlier in the thread, I'm sure those are good.) So I upgraded.

He needs something of good build quality. He’s the type of person that if it feels cheap, it won’t work for him. So, it sounds silly, but something that is heavier, made of metal, and not made of plastic is pretty much a requirement.

Going from Cigs to an EGO battery based one was no big deal. Sure it was a different throat hit when I first tried it. Coughed a little bit the first few pulls, and then was totally acclimated with it. <snip> However, the mod system is much more similar to smoking actual cigs, and that's what he would probably be in the market for.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. He needs something that is similar to smoking actual cigs. He tried the electronic cigarettes probably a decade or so ago, and he didn’t like it. Now, that’s pretty much his impression of all e-cigs/vaping. He needs something strong and that will be similar to smoking cigarettes.

The only other words of advice are to buy primarily VG based liquids, as they are the higher quality ones. If you need some specifics as far as a starter setup, I can whip something up for you. You don't need something specific for a persons tastes, you can put any flavor of liquid in any tank more or less.

I know they have all types of flavors, so this might sound silly, but do they have ‘cigarette’ flavored liquids? He’d probably like that the best. Also, what are VG based liquids? If you could whip up a quick setup, that would be awesome.

We haven’t really discussed a price, but we realize that it’d be an investment. What is the typical cost of a system? We both kind of agreed that we could see spending $100-$150 to include both the initial investment and lots of liquid refills. Is that a good enough budget?

Okay, well here's what I've got for you. I have a discontinued version of this tank, basically what they updated was the build quality (which is already great) and the airflow vents. You can see on mine there's three holes. That ring with the vents rotates, so there are either 1, 2, or 3 of the air holes exposed. Which can dramatically effect your experience. Now that I have adjustable airflow I love it. Depending on the liquid I can open up or close it down (like an aperture haha) for better flavor/vape production.

The AWESOME thing about this tank which I have yet to get into, is that you can rebuild your own coils. So if he's crafty and likes working with his hands, there are TONS of guides on building your own coils to suit your needs. However, it's not necessary you do that. They make .5 ohm replacement coils with organic cotton which are generally what I buy. But the ability to have it be either way is pretty cool. Most tanks are either strictly rebuildable or strictly you buy your coils from the manufacturer.

In order to be compatible with that, you'd need to get a "mod" which is capable of working with sub ohm coils.

XPro M36 Mod Silver

This one is compatible, and this is the one that I use. There are plenty of other ones, but I have a suspicion that WeePete would know more about those than myself.

This is the one I want, because it's sexy. But as you can see it's a bit cost prohibitive.

Vaperev Shop - Five Pawns Edition Vapor Flask V2.1 DNA 40 - Vapor Flask - Variable Voltage Wattage - Devices

As far as liquids, yes there are definitely tobacco flavors. I'll be honest though, they don't taste like smoking a cig specifically, well because honestly that would be pretty vile. They do have a deep flavor profile and are enjoyable. Each one with individual characteristics. Some with hints of bourbon, others with creme, others more of a rugged earthy flavor similar to tobacco.

Space Jam Juice

I recently started ordering from here. Just watch when you're ordering. The higher concentration of PG (propylene glycol) is at the top. You'd probably want to get either straight VG (Vegetable glycerin) or an 80/20 VG/PG mix. I made the mistake of ordering 20/80 VG/PG at one point so it was very thin which generally is better for higher resistance coils.

So total investment for me when I got this setup was ~150USD. With the mod, tank and some bottles of liquid.

Where abouts are you located? Do you know if you have any vape shops near you? They often will have samples for you to try or smell if you wanted to get a good idea of what they'd be like before ordering them.

Also, as heavy of a smoker he is, you'd probably want to start off in the 24mg nicotine range. I started at 18mg because I wasn't smoking a large amount of cigs on the daily.
Thanks for the recommendations!! Also, I'm sorry for all the questions!

That sounds doable. Also, thanks for the tip on the VG vs PG and flavors. And different nicotine ranges. Yeah, we'll probably want to start him off on the higher amounts.

You mentioned that the VG is thicker than the PG. In the event that my FIL decides to buy his own and gets PG or a high PG:VG ratio, will that have any negative effects on the system. In other words, will he break it or destroy the coils faster?

That's pretty neat about being able to rebuild the coils. Do you know how often you have to rebuild/replace the coils? He loves fiddling with things, but usually ends up either breaking it or not knowing how to put it back together. So, I'll tell him that he shouldn't unless I'm there. Haha.

We're in Central PA, but the FIL is in Brooklyn, NY. I've heard of several shops around us, and I'm sure there are plenty around him. Maybe we'll go and browse, get an idea, and then take him to a shop in Brooklyn or Manhattan for him to decide on the flavors. Although, we may ultimately buy around us, since I'm assuming it'll be a little cheaper than NYC?

XPro M36 Mod Silver

Space Jam Juice

That sounds doable. Also, thanks for the tip on the VG vs PG and flavors. And different nicotine ranges. Yeah, we'll probably want to start him off on the higher amounts.

You mentioned that the VG is thicker than the PG. In the event that my FIL decides to buy his own and gets PG or a high PG:VG ratio, will that have any negative effects on the system. In other words, will he break it or destroy the coils faster?

That's pretty neat about being able to rebuild the coils. Do you know how often you have to rebuild/replace the coils? He loves fiddling with things, but usually ends up either breaking it or not knowing how to put it back together. So, I'll tell him that he shouldn't unless I'm there. Haha.

We're in Central PA, but the FIL is in Brooklyn, NY. I've heard of several shops around us, and I'm sure there are plenty around him. Maybe we'll go and browse, get an idea, and then take him to a shop in Brooklyn or Manhattan for him to decide on the flavors. Although, we may ultimately buy around us, since I'm assuming it'll be a little cheaper than NYC?

As far as I know, getting different variations of mixes won't effect the coils. At least in my experience. When I'm vaping I generally replace the coil every 1-2 weeks. Five come in a package and the packages I found were around 16 bucks. So if I did the math it's 3 bucks a week for the coils, and probably like less than 5 bucks a week depending on the liquid you get for that. So 8 bucks a week or thereabouts VS however many packs of cigs a day (@ ~7-9USD in NY I would guess). Seems like a no brainer.

This video seems to outline some of the basics and kind of what I've been touching on.

You may just want to smell/sample liquids and purchase in PA because you're right, it will probably cost less.

XPro M36 Mod Silver

Space Jam Juice

As far as I know, getting different variations of mixes won't effect the coils. At least in my experience. When I'm vaping I generally replace the coil every 1-2 weeks. Five come in a package and the packages I found were around 16 bucks. So if I did the math it's 3 bucks a week for the coils, and probably like less than 5 bucks a week depending on the liquid you get for that. So 8 bucks a week or thereabouts VS however many packs of cigs a day (@ ~7-9USD in NY I would guess). Seems like a no brainer.

This video seems to outline some of the basics and kind of what I've been touching on.

You may just want to smell/sample liquids and purchase in PA because you're right, it will probably cost less.

Thanks for the video and info. I'll stop with all my questions, haha. Despite the weekly cost, a single pack of cigarettes in NYC starts at ~$10, and I'm sure cartons are probably $60+. This will definitely be cheaper.

TBH I really wouldn't reccomend a sub ohm setup for a beginner. Sub ohming really needs a bit of knowledge as the amp draw can be quite high on the battery. Same with building your own coils you really need a multimeter and a decent knowlege of ohms law to make sure you don't blow your batteries up. Though regulated mods tend to have built in protection for shorts and current draw. Though if he takes up vaping there is enough information out there to make a change to sub ohming and rebuildables if he wishes.

I'd still reccommend going for a e-go style battery and a 1.8ohm glass Evod to start with rather than a full blown mod as at the beginning it's more about getting the right liquid.

With e-liquid higer ratio VG gives more vapour, but dulls the flavour. PG gives the throat hit so he may prefer a bit more PG in his mix to start with. Most decent e-liquid vendors offer a range of mixes so you can taylor it to how you like it.

But e-cigs are a very personal thing that often takes a few tries to get right, but there's loads of options out there now for different systems.

TBH I really wouldn't reccomend a sub ohm setup for a beginner. Sub ohming really needs a bit of knowledge as the amp draw can be quite high on the battery. Same with building your own coils you really need a multimeter and a decent knowlege of ohms law to make sure you don't blow your batteries up. Though regulated mods tend to have built in protection for shorts and current draw. Though if he takes up vaping there is enough information out there to make a change to sub ohming and rebuildables if he wishes.

I'd still reccommend going for a e-go style battery and a 1.8ohm glass Evod to start with rather than a full blown mod as at the beginning it's more about getting the right liquid.

With e-liquid higer ratio VG gives more vapour, but dulls the flavour. PG gives the throat hit so he may prefer a bit more PG in his mix to start with. Most decent e-liquid vendors offer a range of mixes so you can taylor it to how you like it.

But e-cigs are a very personal thing that often takes a few tries to get right, but there's loads of options out there now for different systems.
Thanks for the notes. I definitely don't want anything too complicated, because it will be confusing for him and too much maintenance. I'd be okay with replacing the coils, but if I have to replace them every 7-14 days and I can't teach him how to do it, it'll be a waste of money. I live too far away to do it for him on a weekly basis.

I guess rather than dropping $100 to $150 right away, it'd be better to get him to accept a cheaper system and then gradually go to the higher end system, if he cares to upgrade.

The ideal system would be this: something that has a strong flavor like a real cigarette, is made of durable materials (either heavy plastic or metal), is easily maintained (i.e., put liquid in and go without much, if any, cleaning), and can last all day long (~18-20 hours) without having to be charged.

Is something like this available?

The only way to fly.

DSC_1273_067tag4.JPG

Thanks for the notes. I definitely don't want anything too complicated, because it will be confusing for him and too much maintenance. I'd be okay with replacing the coils, but if I have to replace them every 7-14 days and I can't teach him how to do it, it'll be a waste of money. I live too far away to do it for him on a weekly basis.

I guess rather than dropping $100 to $150 right away, it'd be better to get him to accept a cheaper system and then gradually go to the higher end system, if he cares to upgrade.

The ideal system would be this: something that has a strong flavor like a real cigarette, is made of durable materials (either heavy plastic or metal), is easily maintained (i.e., put liquid in and go without much, if any, cleaning), and can last all day long (~18-20 hours) without having to be charged.

Hmm, the only one I've tried is an Innokin MVP. It's a variable voltage/wattage regulated mod with a 2600mah battery. That used to do me a full day and a bit before it needed recharged and I'm a pretty heavy vaper. Its a pass through device too so can be used as it is charging. Batteries will last a bit longer too if your not using low voltage coils. Pretty similar to what Tyler reccomended first.

But exactly how long a battery will last depends on how intensively its used. The best way of dealing with it would be two batteries and a car charger. That way he can be using one while the other charges. Ego II batteries come in 2200mah flavours so a couple of them should do the majority of the day or the full day with a couple of recharges. If he's on 100 a day then I suspect he won't want to totally chuck the tobbacco instantly but will probably want to dual fuel for a while.

As fir flaviurful e-liquids I've heard of a couple being reccomeded that are Earth Brother and Pollution as strong glavoured tobbaco substitutes, but taste is very subjective and I don't know how easy these would be to get a hold of in the USA as I'm in the UK. Tyler would probably be better placed to either find out or reccomend a sutible e-liquid.

Do you think you'll use vaping to eventually stop your intake of nicotine or is it just a new way to get it in your system?

Hmm, the only one I've tried is an Innokin MVP. It's a variable voltage/wattage regulated mod with a 2600mah battery. That used to do me a full day and a bit before it needed recharged and I'm a pretty heavy vaper. Its a pass through device too so can be used as it is charging. Batteries will last a bit longer too if your not using low voltage coils. Pretty similar to what Tyler reccomended first.

But exactly how long a battery will last depends on how intensively its used. The best way of dealing with it would be two batteries and a car charger. That way he can be using one while the other charges. Ego II batteries come in 2200mah flavours so a couple of them should do the majority of the day or the full day with a couple of recharges. If he's on 100 a day then I suspect he won't want to totally chuck the tobbacco instantly but will probably want to dual fuel for a while.

As fir flaviurful e-liquids I've heard of a couple being reccomeded that are Earth Brother and Pollution as strong glavoured tobbaco substitutes, but taste is very subjective and I don't know how easy these would be to get a hold of in the USA as I'm in the UK. Tyler would probably be better placed to either find out or reccomend a sutible e-liquid.
Thanks for the recommendations! A second battery would be a good idea! Yeah, my FIL definitely won't chuck the tobacco at first.. Hoping to get him to cut down at first!

Do you think you'll use vaping to eventually stop your intake of nicotine or is it just a new way to get it in your system?

I have no plans to stop right now, but I'm not saying that I wont quit altogether in the future.

A few years back I did try to quit and used the nicotene inhalators for a bit. They were bloody awful things and I eventually went back to cigs. Tried patches, they didnt work. Tried the gum it was minging. Wen't cold turkey and I didn't last at that either. Vaping is the only thing I found that made me think it's workable and has really proved itself to be workable for me. But if I wasn't vaping I'd be smoking

I thought at first that it was quite a good idea. Either way what ever you decided to inhale is going to have bad effects on the body. I am a non smoker and don't mind who does it but just respect others around
But I have more recently started to dislike this method of smoking. We was at the airport last year feeding the baby in a small seating area no bigger than 3x3 meters, then this man arrives sitting next to us smoking on his vape, putting head inside jacket and exhaling next to us. Asking him to stop as non smoking place, he replies I need this before getting on a plane. So we moved along..

There is some children's play areas nearby our house that has no smoking allowed inside, but people use vapes there.. Its outside but its not the point really, children like to follow what adults do, and I did the same when I was 12 - 15 my parents would smoke in the car house and about 20-30 a day each! and at school before trying it would talk about how cool it must be to smoke as all our parents did it. So the habit started at a young age and I am not proud of it, it was stupid and wish I never done it, but can't change the past, so this might be where my dislike is coming over more strong for it.

These are just two times where its bothered us directly but there is many more places seen it, young adults / teenagers sitting in mc donalds quite vape to show of to other friends.
Even on pick your own fruit farm have seen people vape while going around, really cant you wait like 30 minutes where you can do it away from children and other people.

Sorry for going rather off topic but was just sharing my annoyance from it.

I've a feeling they will find this method is far worse than tobacco. You've no idea what's in that little jar and there appears to be little to no data either way. Just an observation,but have at it my friends far be it for me to tell anyone how to live. I've got issues of my own. :D

Well this is the last place I expected to find a thread on vaping, but here it is.
I've been off the stinkies for 9 months now myself and can honestly say that vaping is 100% responsible for my quitting tobacco.
It took me some time to find a mod/tank combo that worked well for me with flavors and not flooding the coils.

I got started on an EGO, then moved on to a variable voltage Vision Spinner 2. Then I needed a backup, so I got another.
Next I wanted something a little more durable as I kept snapping my Spinners in two, so I got a variable voltage Aspire CF in a Nautilus starter kit.
I fell in love with that tank systems performance, but then decided I wanted a little extra pep from my mod so I ordered an eleaf istick 30 watt 2200mah and I have finally found my vape happy place,lol.

If you guys are looking for some VERY good liquids at great prices, check out Vape Wild online for excellent variety and top notch service. They send you free samples with every order too. How many sample bottles depends on your total purchase price, but they are very affordable with free shipping.

For mods, tanks, and coils I do all my shopping online at Sweet Vapes. They are the cheapest I've found for the stuff I'm vaping on and they ship fast, and it's all authentic.
Here's my go to daily vape workhorse eleaf istick w/ Nautilous 5ml stainless tank and 1.8ohm BVC coils. I usually cook my juice between 12 and 14 watts.

original.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back