quit smoking

newatdslr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have decided to make a attempt at quiting smoking cold turkey ,,, last cig at 2 am ,,,has anyone else quit cold turkey ? any hints , tips or what to expect

I believe i will join you for a 2 am smoke. great idea!

When you feel the desire for a cig, grab your camera instead and use that "craving for a cig" as a "craving for a PIC"

:p

Quit smoking is not a day or week or month experience. It's going to be years, decades..... That said, you have to be in a mind set that this may very well be something that you will need to fight against even 10 years down the road.

Best way to quit is to avoid places and people who smoke. Means you will have to start avoiding friends who smoke.... or, if they are respectful enough to not smoke in your presence.
Any time when you see an ash tray, a cigarette butt or walk by a person who just had a smoke, you will be reminded of the urge. So your mind has to be absolutely strong.

I am not a smoker but I've interviewed several smokers as a research activity. Most say they have quite before. 3~5 years. Then they are back to smoking because one time they were in the presence of a smoking friend who offered them a stick and they took the bait. That's all it takes to break the streak.

Then I heard of a story of a person who is thinking of quitting. He was sitting in a bar with a friend of his who have quit for more than 10 years. So this guy asked his friend how he does it. The friend replied," You see that guy over there with the smoke? God damn I want a smoke now so bad!"

For some, they can truly convince themselves to think that cigarette is really bad for themselves. For others, it will be more like a denial, a struggle between desire and perception.

I'm glad I never picked up smoking, especially after talking to more than 30 smokers about their struggles.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Quit last night. I'll be loading a bowl when I have to craving!

newatdslr said:
I have decided to make a attempt at quiting smoking cold turkey ,,, last cig at 2 am ,,,has anyone else quit cold turkey ? any hints , tips or what to expect

I quit about 6 and a half years ago after smoking pretty heavily for about 13 years and it's by far the most difficult thing I've ever done. My advice is this: know and accept that it is hard, and will continue to be hard for a while, but you have the power to choose your actions every moment. Don't let the cigarettes win. Once you have that mindset firmly in place, take peace in the fact that is does eventually get better. I can also tell you that it can have an amazing impact on your life. Since I quit I've run 13 full marathons, including Boston. Something will come to fill the void that smoking leaves.

Good luck!

When my cousin quit smoking she said that every time she craved a cigarette she would brush her teeth because the taste of the fresh toothpaste seemed to cure the craving. Probably sounds daft but, it worked for her :thumbup:

Good luck and make sure you have a savings jar ready and just keep reminding yourself of all that money you are going to save - lots of new photo stuff or a holiday destination where you can take amazing photos? :D

It's very simple...don't put one to your lips-NO MATTER WHAT!

I quit cold-turkey like 8 years or so ago. I still think about a smoke, it's that pervasive but I DON'T ACT on my urges.

Believe me, the things I can smell and taste now, wow. I don't hack, I feel much better overall.

Just chew gum everytime you want a smoke.

My freind also told me how he did it. He cut a peice of straw to the same length of a smoke and just chewed on it whenever he had a craving.

My wife and I "quit" eight months ago by switching to electronic cigarettes and are slowly lowering the nicotine, No tar, no carcinogens, no nasty smell on our clothes, no ashtrays. The best part is we still hang out with cigarette smokers and have no desire for then at all, also no cravings for food.

Now this may not be for everyone, but it has been a fun, cheaper, and healthier decision for us.

Allan

flea77, I hope the e-cigarettes are just an intermediate step till you fully quit. E-cigarettes are not solutions. It's the mental strength that smokers need to acquire to free themselves from these sticks regardless of what form it comes in. In fact, when we did the research on e-cigarettes a few years back, there was no information on the content of the ingredients and the FDA had a hard time trying to regulate it. Who knows if what they claim on the box are true. Who knows what's really in it. To me there is nothing but risk to use it.

@flea, I've thought about those. I'm a 30 year smoker. My personal best is about 3 months two years ago (cold turkey). I've tried gum, patches and Wellbutrin. The wellbutrin worked, but after 30 days I figured I had it licked and didn't refill the scrip. Not so much. LOL. I'm glad to hear the e-cigarettes can work. I may try it, otherwise I'm considering acupuncture.

molested_cow said:
flea77, I hope the e-cigarettes are just an intermediate step till you fully quit. E-cigarettes are not solutions. It's the mental strength that smokers need to acquire to free themselves from these sticks regardless of what form it comes in. In fact, when we did the research on e-cigarettes a few years back, there was no information on the content of the ingredients and the FDA had a hard time trying to regulate it. Who knows if what they claim on the box are true. Who knows what's really in it. To me there is nothing but risk to use it.

My liquid contains all FDA approved chemicals.

I certainly understand your concerns, and I feel comfortable with the ingredients in my liquid of choice. Even if I was concerned with the ingredients, the alternative to the is already known to be lethal.

My wife quit cold turkey 7 years ago after smoking since she was 14, but it took a lower lobectomy due to lung cancer to get her to quit. To this day she still gets strong urges to smoke. Our son in the Navy is currently trying to quit, his biggest complaint is others around him who smoke making it tough, it's even harder for him being in Virginia, the heart of tobacco country.

My wife's biggest suggestion is to plan on having something to put in your mouth, like hard candy and find something to keep your hands busy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back