R.I.P Sir Edmund Hillary

I just heard a little while ago. Sad.

Didn't Steve Irwin die there too?
We need to stop sending famous adventurous people to NZ...

^^^ Although I'm sure you weren't serious, I'll clarify that Steve Irwin died in Aus (north Queensland). And Hilary's home was in NZ.

^^^ Although I'm sure you weren't serious, I'll clarify that Steve Irwin died in Aus (north Queensland). And Hilary's home was in NZ.

No, I was not serious at all...
Just kind of weird that two famous people of the same type of background (outdoors/adventure) died in the same area (AU/AZ).

It's unfortunate, even though I have not heard of the guy.

Well, he made contributions, no? I'm not going to say his life was a waste. Clearly he did something right...lol

Please stop while you're behind.

Do some research dude.

That's a shame about Hillary, what a fascinating life!

psssst Sideburns..... Hillary and sherpa Tenzig Norgay were the first ones to summit Mt Everest.

Crazy you haven't heard of him - even I have!

How sad, he was obviously a legend. Correct me if I am wrong but he was one of the individuals who was harshly criticizing the climbers who left a man to die on Everest last year right?

Such a shame, but Sir Hillary had led a good, long and adventurous life. He also saw to it others benefited from his life's efforts and prosperity. He truly was a great man.

But, all living things come to an end. I have had to have this discussion with my adult children a few years back when some in the medical profession thought my time was near. It's something we all face.

(Is there a statement related to the modern educational system in this thread? Just a thought.)

Just a few quotes from Sir Edmund:

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”

“You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated.”

"People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.”

"Nobody climbs mountains for scientific reasons. Science is used to raise money for the expeditions, but you really climb for the hell of it.”

"We knocked the bastard off.”

"There is precious little in civilization to appeal to a Yeti.”

"As far as I knew, he had never taken a photograph before, and the summit of Everest was hardly the place to show him how.”

You are to be sorely missed Sir Edmund.

All of us here in NZ are mourning...tis a black day. RIP Sir Ed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back