Raccoon eyes :-/

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you guys get rid of them? Whenever I bounce the light off the ceiling- I get them. Any ideas?

Off cam flash may be best, or or put a card on your flash that bounces some of the light forward to fill in the coon eyes.

Off cam flash may be best, or or put a card on your flash that bounces some of the light forward to fill in the coon eyes.
I am currently working on that lol( off camera flash ) So a card might work? I am usually on the move with the flash mounted on the hot shoe.

I use the lumiquest promax system for this.

When you have a low, neutral color ceiling you can use the 80/20 on it's own and it will bounce 80% of the light off of the ceiling, while 20% get's bounced forward to provide some fill light on the subject. When there is no ceiling, or it's the wrong color or too high, simply thow in one of the bounce cards to throw all the light forward, while still enlarging the size of the light source, and therefore softening the light that falls on your subject. I really can't say enough for it, it works great.

If you are talking like in average shots with your camera where you need a flash bounce backwards. Turn your flash around backwards and actually point it at the corner between the wall and the ceiling so it is hitting both. Part will bounce forward, part will surround.
Something like the LumiQuest 80/20 can be handy when you are using flash on camera.

Both can work for professional portraits too, but there are better off camera techniques with the speedlight to get you better results. With everyday snaps you aren't wanting to take the time to set up and get everything just so. With portraits you do. Learning off camera techniques are much more helpful there!

Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis?

864972740_oeJ24-XL.jpg

Bouncing off the ceiling is great, but has its inherent problems. Throw some light forward or use a reflector to uplight the face, which counteracts the bounce effect on the recessed eye sockets.

I keep a box-like diffuser on my flash all the time, with the flash pointed a slight bit forward of vertical. This sends light up to the ceiling and also spreads it all around, filling in eyes. I have a Sto-Fen clone I got on eBay for around $6.00 delivered. The similar Sto-Fen in a local camera shop was over $30.00, plus tax.

Most reactions

Back