Racing...

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've recently moved to Portland, Oregon from San Diego.

When I was in San Diego, I did a lot of concert photography. Since moving here, though, there seems to be a lot less opportunity to do that, so I've been looking for other things to focus on. Being the pacific northwest, scenics have been high on the list, but I've been wanting to try different things, one of which is racing/motorsports. There are a couple of road courses within easy driving distance: Portland International Raceway and Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington.

A little over a week ago, I e-mailed PIR about shooting, and explained that I was not affiliated with any publication or website. I just wanted to shoot. I provided some examples of my work for their review and, last night, I got an e-mail inviting me down to shoot the night time drag races this Friday and Saturday, as well as some SCCA events this weekend (weather permitting).

I'm pretty jazzed. Since moving here, I've been shooting a lot of scenic stuff, but it seems as though that's all I'm shooting. It'll be nice to get out and do something different for a change.

Anyway, nevermind me... I'm just rambling. Anyone else here shoot motorsports?

Yeah, but in NorCal. Im lucky enough to have the Muscle Milk racing team down the street. They hook me up with all kinds of opportunities. Plus a little nascar, and NHRA :)

I only shot drags in SoCal, and some Sprints in Perris, CA.

Most of my motorsports shooting has been at Daytona...

Thunderhill is way up in norcal. probably not too far from you...

Last edited:
I've recently moved to Portland, Oregon from San Diego.

When I was in San Diego, I did a lot of concert photography. Since moving here, though, there seems to be a lot less opportunity to do that, so I've been looking for other things to focus on. Being the pacific northwest, scenics have been high on the list, but I've been wanting to try different things, one of which is racing/motorsports. There are a couple of road courses within easy driving distance: Portland International Raceway and Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington.

A little over a week ago, I e-mailed PIR about shooting, and explained that I was not affiliated with any publication or website. I just wanted to shoot. I provided some examples of my work for their review and, last night, I got an e-mail inviting me down to shoot the night time drag races this Friday and Saturday, as well as some SCCA events this weekend (weather permitting).

I'm pretty jazzed. Since moving here, I've been shooting a lot of scenic stuff, but it seems as though that's all I'm shooting. It'll be nice to get out and do something different for a change.

Anyway, nevermind me... I'm just rambling. Anyone else here shoot motorsports?

I shoot cars shows majority of the year and also shoot for drift Indy who basically is the Midwest drift union running drifting events. And I also work my day job across the street from the Indianapolis speedway so when I can I will sneak out of work for a few hours to get into practice for the Indy 500 and the moto gp.

I will sneak out to a Rally America event every so often.

I shoot motorcycles at PIR. It's pretty much, show up, sign a waiver and shoot through the holes in the fence. I ask the corner workers if they mind me shooting in their corners, just so I don't annoy them.

Yeah no drags up in oregon? Bet you miss Pamona?

I shoot motorcycles at PIR. It's pretty much, show up, sign a waiver and shoot through the holes in the fence. I ask the corner workers if they mind me shooting in their corners, just so I don't annoy them.

Right on.

I'm going to be shooting the drags this weekend and, if the weather holds, I guess there's an SCCA event on Sunday.

If you're there, I'll be the guy in the red jacket with the bewildered look on his face...

;)

I photographed some drags down in Key West once...does that count?

I photographed some drags down in Key West once...does that count?

Why would it?

:)

The weather's supposed to be nice this weekend, so I'm hoping to shoot Friday and Saturday nights, as well as Sunday during the day. 'Cause, you know, I have nothing better to do with my Monday day off than edit photos...

:)

Ever see a black 1970 pro street pinto at Barona? The driver was my old boss. I miss Carlsbad raceway...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back