Radio slave that takes AAs

explody pup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a remote flash trigger, preferably radio, that takes AA or AAA batteries. Does anyone here know of any or can recommend something? Reason I ask is I have a nice professional AA and AAA batter charger. It would be nice if I could stick to one readily available battery type.

The only thing I've found are the Pocket Wizards, but I'd like to find something else for the sake of comparison.

How much are you looking to spend? I just bought a 16-channel radio slave for $30 (including shipping) off eBay. Granted, it's a China-special but at only 10% of the cost of a PW and using it no more than I do, I can justify it.

Greg

How much are you looking to spend? I just bought a 16-channel radio slave for $30 (including shipping) off eBay. Granted, it's a China-special but at only 10% of the cost of a PW and using it no more than I do, I can justify it.

Greg
Have you had much of a chance to use it yet? How's the build quality? These units on eBay look pretty tempting since they're so compact and I'm limited on space in my camera pack.

I have a cheap 'E-bay' slave set...it works well on my older flash units but it doens't play well when used on my Canon flash. It uses a CR2 battery.

Pocket Wizards are the standard but they are expensive. I'm starting to hear good things about the Skyports, which are less expensive....I check, they don't use regular batteries though.

I'm currently using a low-end, no-auto-anything Vivitar flash so compatibility isn't an issue.

Those Skyports do look pretty nice. The battery is the only issue. I pretty much always have 2 4-packs of freshly charged AAs in my pack. Adding a 4-pack of AAAs would be easy if I were to get one of the eBay units that takes them. I think I'll end up doing just that.

Have you had much of a chance to use it yet? How's the build quality? These units on eBay look pretty tempting since they're so compact and I'm limited on space in my camera pack.
Not really, but from just testing, the radio seems to transmit and receive every time. Can't say how long it'll last but you could buy two and have one as a spare.

Greg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back