Radio Tower

jadin

The Mad Hatter
Reaction score
Website
jadinhanson.smugmug.com
DSC_0782c.jpg

I've put quite a few hours into the editing of this shot. (The original can be found here : original) What I finally came up with was to rotate the tower until the middle beam was straight. Then I had to crop off the wires on one side since it gave the illusion of imbalance. There is some noise in the shot but everytime I remove it I lose detail in the tower, which I don't want. Lastly I dodged the highlights repeatedly, and added a ton of saturation.

It's the saturation and colors which I feel make the shot. They are outrageously bold, perhaps overly so.

Anyway after spending so much time on this, I'm curious as to what someone else would do with the shot. So I've uploaded the full-size tiff after my RAW conversions, and welcome you to download it and go nuts if you desire. The tiff is 9Mb after being zipped. You can download it here. You're welcome to post any edits you do here for everyone to see.

Jadin,
I don't mind the bold colors you ended up with, i have a similar (but not as serious) shot i took when i first started 5 months ago, all i would do here is take your final version, crop out the plain part of the tower from the far left side of your frame right to where the "iron grid " starts, and would keep the rest as is to have an interesting absurd shot.

just for the sake of coincidence, i'll post that shot i took in august 2004, i never took it seriously though, i thought it would come out better, your's is definitly better (i think), anyway:

NuclearJulywithClouds.jpg

Peace,
Tromnone

my comments on your stuff is the usual; awesome work man, i knew it was goona be great when i saw the post. i agree about not cleaning up the noise - the tower looks perfect! :hail:

I like the color and the tight crop accentuating the slim tower. I'm surprised though that you spent hours on it and didn't clone out the annoying barbwire and that little nub. :) also the tower is leaning a bit to the left. (the picture you posted on this site)

I prefer the off balance look and muted colors of the original, but the modified image is interesting also.

I like the original as well, but I must admit, this over-the-top approach is excellent. If this were a hand-tinted image, it would be what James McKinnis dubbed "ultracoloring". It's effective because of the bold geometric lines here. :thumbup:

Worth the time you put into it, Jadin - great work!! :D

Most reactions

Back