Rails to the Sunset

Railphotog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't think it's an obsession, but I've been interested in taking photos of the sun setting on railroad tracks for a long time. I discovered a location not far from home probably in the 1980's and have taken photos there quite a few times over the years. The problem is the sun only sets along the tracks during the first week of June. And I don't always remember the time, and/or the weather doesn't cooperate. I originally did some shots on slide film, later print film, and now with a DSLR. Still haven't gotten what I'd like to capture, mostly because the last few years the weather hasn't been the best during this short period.

Here are a few I shot last week, on June 10th. It would been better to have taken them a few days earlier so the sun was setting directly below the tracks, but it was cloudy all week. Even these there was a bank of clouds along the horizon, the same as last year.

SunsetRails10Jun2011IMG_5127a.jpg

SunsetRails10Jun2011IMG_5094a.jpg

I couldn't seem to load the third image from Photobucket, still new on this forum. May just add it in a follow up reply.

All photos taken with my Canon XSi and Canon 75-300mm IS lens, hand held.

SunsetRails10Jun2011IMG_5085a.jpg

Here is the third image. I noticed the person walking in the middle of the tracks next to the rail cars while I was editing the images.

These are great, very dreamy :sillysmi:

your patience paid off!

I like #2 the best, once you pointed out the person in 3 you can pick it up quick, or had I looked at it longer I might have found them on my own, but I like how you captured the sun off the tracks. I think if you had waited longer on #1, once the sun was just behind that hill and the sky was all lit up in purple that might have turned out good. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to only have a narrow window each year to hit a spot nice and close to home.

Very cool. I think I like the first one with the sun in it the best. Great work!

I like the 3rd one the most. With the person walking in the middle of the tracks reminds me of all the hard work railroad workers put in to put these tracks into place.

WoW!!... very nice shot!! I loved the light strings :)

Most reactions

Back