Rain Rain Rain

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by flashbax, Jan 4, 2013.

1. flashbax

flashbax TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok I've been waiting to get out with the new D3100, Its rained nonstop now for days "wettest winter on record" I can't wait any longer I'm going out but before I do how is the D3100 in terms of taking a bit of rain on the body and lens?
    I obviously don’t plan on getting it soaked and will be taking what I can to help shelter my camera.
    And taking advantage of the weather any tips on setting up for grey gloomy rain soaked days. I'd like to try and get the actual water droplets in focus but with being a total noob I'm not sure my camera and lens is up to the task.

2. duncanp

duncanp No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you've got a large umbrella kicking about then just take that out with you and you'd be surprised at how much rain you can avoid with one. I often end up working on wet days in wet gritty environments and an umbrella proves invaluable!

As for how much rain your particular body can take, the odd drop or two obviously won't hurt it but try to avoid it getting wet enough for water to start sitting on the camera around the buttons and near seals etc.

3. flashbax

flashbax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah was toying with the idea of a brolly, wind issues up here and especially where I'm going to take my images might destroy it. Was thinking of getting under trees ect but still it’s risky like you say it’s getting the body to wet and it’s a new camera not sent of warranty off yet.

4. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  5. shadowlands

shadowlands No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Move to Arizona!!! Ha!!!

6. TheLost

TheLost No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. flashbax

flashbax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd move there now if I could afford it, sick of no sun, always cold and wet. But I'd miss the football and my season tickets like rocking horse poo at the moment for man city.

8. Vautrin

Vautrin No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Rain is actually not so bad to shoot in. The key is not to get the inside of the camera and the electronics wet.

You can basically wipe off condensation...

Use a garbage bag or other plastic covering to keep the camera covered. Keep it in your coat.

THen when you're ready to shoot, take it out. let the lens out and take a pic then put it back in.

it also depends what type of rain. drizzle isn't a problem pouring rain is

9. colnago1331

colnago1331 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a one gallon Ziploc bag in the rain and it works well. I cut an "X" in the bottom of the bag and stick my lens through that. The bag, itself, then covers up the camera body. I'll either stick my hand in the bag to focus/shoot or sometimes I'll just hold the camera through the bag.

ETA Pics (sorry for the crappy iPhone pics but the good camera's being photographed! :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It rains in Arizona.

One fourth of Arizona is forested. Flagstaff, Arizona gets about 23 inches of rain annually.

In Arizona, the rainiest part of the year is usually July and August, Arizona's 'Monsoon' season.

11. flashbax

flashbax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I didnt bother in the end, I'm waiting a cover for the camera now. Dont want to risk my new toy. Ended up spending hours just going over setting and specs. Its a really good camera, and its a low end unit. The top end stuff must be something else to use and the quality of images superb. The ziplock bag idea is a good one wish i'd seen it before ordering the one from amazon lol.