Rainy Day

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just discovered another essential accessory for any photographer's gear: An umbrella.

It was a rainy day today and I was dropping the kids off at daycare and noticed the vibrant colors and downtown St. Paul enshrouded in mist...so I stopped at Target and bought an umbrella, went back and got my camera and tripod and went for a long walk. These are the best of the day. I really love how well the colors came out from the rain. I almost don't want to go shoot on a dry day now. Please tell me what you think:

CRW_6992_RJ.jpg

CRW_6998_RJ.jpg

CRW_7004_RJ.jpg

CRW_7005_RJ.jpg

CRW_7010_RJ.jpg

CRW_7019_RJ.jpg

CRW_7024_RJ.jpg

CRW_7027_RJ.jpg

And the last shot of the day...I actually attempted my first HDR with this shot which you can see here: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1218188#post1218188
CRW_7029_RJ.jpg

It's true, the colors seemed to be really nice!

My fav is #6 because it's a very creative one....that's a bit missing in the others imo...(look more like snapshots)

But #6 is good to try different styles and colors....tried it in B&W?
Like to see it...also a little cropped....give it a try and post it if it turns out to be cool....

Pat

It's true, the colors seemed to be really nice!

My fav is #6 because it's a very creative one....that's a bit missing in the others imo...(look more like snapshots)

But #6 is good to try different styles and colors....tried it in B&W?
Like to see it...also a little cropped....give it a try and post it if it turns out to be cool....

Pat

Thanks for the comments. Snapshots, really? I wasn't expecting that, especially since I took out my tripod and spent a few minutes on each shot. I respect that though.

Yea, that one might look good in B/W. I might try it out later.

Sorry, might have sounded a little too offensive!

It is just that my eye tries to find something "special" in each photo...
for example the focus point, underlined by the DOF, or in your pictures I would have tried different angles or shooting heights...

You shot almost all pictures from your own height (probably ;) )

In #3 the fence is kinda blockin the curves of the walk-way...
Would've been nice to let the viewers eye follow the path, maybe with an angle in which the fence to the left leads the viewers eye....

#5 has good potential! but for me it is the same....my eye just wants to see "the little something"....
I see there is a broken window...hmm...interesting...might be possible to combine a shot through the fence onto the window with some graffitti at the side.... ;)
That way you could get rid of the distracting dirt that was caused by the heavy rain...

But you definitley found good spots, imo you should just work a little on the perspective/creativeness on shooting them to make them a little more "interesting"....

Ok, enough for today... ;)

Keep up the work and show some moooore!!!

Pat

I have to agree w/the above poster.. You seem so psyched about them. But they do seem like snapshots. Number 6 is the best of the bunch.

Thanks for the comments. YoungRebel I see what you mean with #3 and I noticed that after I took the shot and didn't reshoot for some reason but should have.

I still don't agree with or see the snapshot aspect. I set up my tripod for every shot and spent a lot of time framing and checking exposure.

On #1 I framed the path leading between the 2 foreground elements (bench and brown grass) to the subject - the skyline (which is pretty light but there was a lot of mist).

On the other shots I really concentrated on composition - I've got rule of thirds, leading lines, and careful placement.

I guess some of them lack a clear subject, but on a lot of my landscape shots I think I tend to make the whole scene the subject with the placement of the elements and the angles.

Oh well, no big deal, thanks for the feedback.

You know what it is marcus? I think they just might not have enough PP work. I think some of them are unintersting, enough said.. but some of them ARE and are just sort of flat. I would LOVE to see this series in b&w.

It says on your thing that your pics are OK to edit so I hoep you don't mind that I played w/one of them (I have too much free time tonite lol) (maybe has TOO Much pp in mine, but it was quick and its late lol)
original
CRW_7005_RJ.jpg

some pp
CRW_7005_yRJ.jpg

b&w
CRW_7005_tRJ.jpg

Here we go.... ;)

Original:
lalalal.jpg

PP: Adobe Lightroom - rotated, cropped, color management (3min.)
lalalal-1.jpg

PP: Adobe Lightroom - rotated, cropped, color management (3min.)
CRW_7019_RJ.jpg

;)

unfortunately now it looks like a sunny day instead of the rainy day that it was. as far as perspective goes number 6 wins. but the others are more interesting in that they acctually have some subject matter. i don't really feel like going to number 6 but i would like to go see the places in the other shots, and poke around for a while. especially 1,2 and 5 nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back