Random Images - Newborns and teens

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ah! I love summer, except everything is relatively busy so I am just getting around to editing. I have to finish an entire grad order, finish editing the newborn session, my cousin's 'senior' session. Then I have to prepare for next weeks two engagement sessions and a toddler. Yee-haw!

Anyways, to keep my sanity I thought I would share some of the images :)

If you want any stats just ask! (All shot in manual)

1. This is my cousin. While I was visiting all my relatives in Ontario/Michigan I offered to do a mini session with him for free and we had a blast.

f/1.2 1/200 ISO250 85mm
2629201867_081e8dd07a.jpg

2. Can you guess what his passion is? He had really red skin tones for the session since he was doing a week long basketball camp and was thoroughly sunnified!
f/4 1/200 ISO ISO400 45mm
2630014372_8df84d8045.jpg

3. Honestly, I decreased his redness here.
f/1.2 1/800 ISO250 85mm
2630027630_cebe8d209d.jpg

4. Babushka? This newborn was such a sweetheart but she refused to slep for three hours straight. All of the images I post were taken within a 30 minute period at the end :lol:
f/4.5 1/160 ISO500 100mm (natural light via window to camera left)
2619471497_d77a1842f0.jpg

f/2.8 1/125 ISO800 67mm (natural light via window behind myself..oops)
2619471821_8f6acde2e6.jpg

f/8 1/250 ISO200 28mm (using a softbox to the right)
2623006522_1c799b59d6.jpg

2619472107_d2f312a768.jpg

2623006856_af626b8933.jpg

9. I'm just going to throw this in because it makes me laugh
f/3.2 1/160 ISO250 24mm
2593004337_74f3456fb9.jpg

10. Last but not least is my grandfather
f/1.8 1/800 ISO160 85mm
2616999844_2c2ce557ac.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Wow- I'm impressed!!! These are great IMO! I'm loving the Belgian/Haflinger/?

Thanks for the comments! I believe it is a Haflinger (from searching them on google)

Fab stuff, as always. I particularly love the first one, you nailed focus and color, it's beautiful! SEnding you a PM!

wow awsome

Beautiful beautiful images what lens are you using? :)

These got a reaction out of me.

I always know a good shot when I see it and I say something out loud ( to myself )...a gasp...or a WOW... you got those!

I love #4 and I love #5..

You're incredibly talented!!!!!!

Can you share with us the lens you were using for these...tips on your post processing and your exiff ( I know I'm asking a lot lol so whatever you can offer, I'll take!)

Thanks everyone :)

Poppy67: Here is the list of lenses I was using:

1,3,10: 85mm f/1.2L (borrowed, I adore this lens)
2: 45mm TS
4,5: 100mm f/2.8 Macro
6,7,8,9: 24-70 f/2.8 (my fave)

Rowmy: I don't think there is any better compliment then hearing that someone reacted to an image so thank you immensely!
I will post my EXIF data above each image right now and later today I will post a bit about my PP.

Oh and what the hey here is another one of my cousin
f/2 1/500 ISO250 85mm (lit by reflector which you can see reflecting in the bottom left portion of his eye)
2633192670_5ef6e66a04.jpg

Last edited:
Okay postprocessing!

To begin with I shoot 100% and manual. To help with getting bang on exposure I use a light meter which has probably saved my behind more then a few times.

Once I put them on my computer, I use Capture One to process them out to JPEGs. I personally do very little editing in this program, usually some exposure tweaking, WB (I shoot completely in Auto WB right now - which I need to work on) and adding or taking away some contrast, the odd time cropping. After this, I open the JPEGs in photoshop and this is where the fun starts :)

Colour
I have a secret, I use a single action :blushing: . now before anyne thinks that actions are the way to go, halt! You need to have a good understanding of PS already as actions are essentially just a quicker way of getting around. The one I use is Andrew's AIO action which I love since ti is so quick and I find it so universal. I haven't bought a single other action and refuse to. If I can't make due without this one then i just have to work some more on optimizing it for my needs. Anyways, after running the basics of that I simply use curves to make it how I envision it :)

BW

Yay! No actions here! I just call it the Lab BW. Most of this information I picked up from reading magazines so I can't take any credit but I love it because it creates this nice creamy, contrasty BW that work with essentially everything. Here are the steps, you can make it a self-made action if you want to speed it up a bit.

1. image --> Mode --> Greyscale (yes discard information)
2. Image --> Mode --> Lab Colour
3. Go to your palette and select 'Channels'
4. Delete 'b' channel
5. Delete 'Alpha 2' channel
6. Image --> Mode --> Greyscale
7. Image --> Mode --> RGB Colour
8. Duplicate layer and change blending mode to soft light (adjust opacity - watch the highlights!!)
8b. Optional: use curves to tweak a bit
9. Burn and dodge to your hearts desire

The end :)

Love the pictures! And thanks for all the great information.

Wow! Nothing short of amazing! I confess, I have been lurking lately and not doing much posting, but I had to post a comment for these - great!

Also, I had a quick question - do you use a reflector for most of your outdoor shots or just for close-ups? I haven't been using one myself much, and have a couple of senior sessions coming up - so I was thinking of maybe using it more - what do you think?

Again GREAT work! ;)

No problem - I am all for sharing information!

Butterflygirl - If I have an extra pair of hands I always bring my reflector along since it works wonders for adding in a catchlight on those cloudy days and honestly, the subject usually cracks up when the extra pair of hands is awkwardly trying to position the reflector. If you don't have an extra pair of hands, you can still have it for headshots, just ahve the subject hold it at about waste height and it gets rid of some ugly shadows - plus, I tell them it is the quickest way to get a tan ;)

No problem - I am all for sharing information!

Butterflygirl - If I have an extra pair of hands I always bring my reflector along since it works wonders for adding in a catchlight on those cloudy days and honestly, the subject usually cracks up when the extra pair of hands is awkwardly trying to position the reflector. If you don't have an extra pair of hands, you can still have it for headshots, just ahve the subject hold it at about waste height and it gets rid of some ugly shadows - plus, I tell them it is the quickest way to get a tan ;)

Sweet! Thanks! :)

Most reactions

Back