Rangefinder help

cosmonaut

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregmccary.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok you old film buffs I bought a Canon QL-17 on e-bay and after many e-mails to the owner prior to winning I am almost sure it will work when I get it. Any tips on using it or problems that you guys can remember that will save me time experimenting and wasting film? I think the light meter is mounted on the lens itself so a filter shouldn't be a problem...
Cosmo

The sensor will still be reading through a filter if one is used.

The camera has a slightly wide-angle lens [40mm fl.] The following sites might be of interest:

http://www.cameraquest.com/canql17.htm

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?CanonCanonetGIIIQL17.html~mainFrame

Both note that the camera can be used in full manual mode. You can use your old trusted hand-held exposure meter and avoid the whole battery problem. The camera is one of those delightful rigs which doesn't become an expensive paperweight when the battery dies. [I use all but one of my cameras in manual, battery-free mode. Unfortunately, this isn't possible with my one digital rig.]

Of interest is the parallax correction feature.

Thanks, I think from what I understand there is a replacement battery that will work for this model There is one that is coming with mine. The light meter was checked against a D50 and is suppose to be pretty accurate. Thanks for the sites. If I like using a Rangefinder I might go for a newer one later. Any ideas on a light meter without shelling out a small fortune? I know before long I wiil probably be redoing the light seals,I am kinda of a do it yourselfer. Where can I get the materials do change them?
Cosmo

Light meter: Luna Pros are available on ebay for about $US40. The battery conversion kit from B&H is about $US40. So for $US80, you've got yourself an excellent reflectance meter. Add a $US6 gray card from B&H and you can run the meter in incidence mode.

Don't touch the light seals unless you start getting light leaks onto the film [Don't never go fixin' nothin' when it's still workin' right!]

The light seals will probably need to be replaced, almost all of the canonets Ive seen/heard of need new light seals. When I got mine the seals were a messy sticky gooey mess. On ebay look up a seller named interslice, he makes the best light seal replacement kit out there. Cheap too, I got mine for like $6. The instructions are worth it!

Thanks for all of the info everyone. I can't wait for it to get here. I already have some projects in mind. I may use it basically for B&W work....
Cosmo

I've somehow accumulated 5 canonets over the years and not one had light seals in good condition. Changing the light seal is no problem for the canonets and takes about 1 hour. I usually get batteries from photobattery.com and the material for the seals at cameraseals.com. The instructions from cameraseals.com is a great start.

Wonderful cameras.. simple and sharp.

96607402.jpg

BTW...

If you find the lens hood for that Canonet... get it...
If you find the flash specificly for the canonet.. get it...

Both items are difficult to find and the canolite D flash is specifically designed to work with the Canonet's meter.

I know the lens is labeled 40mm. But when I shop around online the 40mm filters are grouped with the 40.5mm. Exactly what will I need?

Thanks, That helps. I have been shopping around. I thought 40mm seemed small. I'll also look for a lens hood.
Cosmo

Most reactions

Back