Rangefinder question

I have dslr, rangefinder and m43...they all have their purpose.

Get some $$ together and buy a rangefinder.

But I'd rec the Fuji Pro or an oldy Epson RD1s. Film is dead pretty much. But if you want film, hate your digital gear, then sell it and do it.

You must be on a different planet if you think film is dead, i know photographers that shot film went digital and went back to film because it is too clean and plastic looking, plus they are getting more work with film

It depends on what you are doing as to whether or not you can shoot film or not and be profitable as a professional photographer in this day and age. I often wax poetic about film, but I know the writing is on the wall for the meat and potatoes photographer. If you think the photo journalist of today is going to be shooting film like they did 15 years ago there is fail in that though process because publishers want things 5 minutes ago in the 24 hour Internet news cycle.

Now if you are talking fashion, automobiles, iphones, or anything else, and you are an in demand artist shooting magazine covers then by all means you can shoot film till they stop making it which by my best guess is 10 to 15 years from now. You dont have to agree but I am betting its so.

I would love to have a digital range finder or even one of the Leica Digiliux 2 or 3 cameras. I think they care pretty neat machines. I see a niche for the digital rangefinder

I shot a roll last night, from getting home to scan it was 30 minutes for small res

But I'd rec the Fuji Pro or an oldy Epson RD1s. Film is dead pretty much. But if you want film, hate your digital gear, then sell it and do it.

You must be on a different planet if you think film is dead, i know photographers that shot film went digital and went back to film because it is too clean and plastic looking, plus they are getting more work with film

It depends on what you are doing as to whether or not you can shoot film or not and be profitable as a professional photographer in this day and age. I often wax poetic about film, but I know the writing is on the wall for the meat and potatoes photographer. If you think the photo journalist of today is going to be shooting film like they did 15 years ago there is fail in that though process because publishers want things 5 minutes ago in the 24 hour Internet news cycle.

Now if you are talking fashion, automobiles, iphones, or anything else, and you are an in demand artist shooting magazine covers then by all means you can shoot film till they stop making it which by my best guess is 10 to 15 years from now. You dont have to agree but I am betting its so.

I would love to have a digital range finder or even one of the Leica Digiliux 2 or 3 cameras. I think they care pretty neat machines. I see a niche for the digital rangefinder

There is a chap that shoots a Leica M9 and Noctilux F0.95 for weddings and also works for Leica on their coarses, he is in big demand
http://blog.leica-camera.com/photographers/interviews/brett-leica-m-photographer-part-1/

There is a chap that shoots a Leica M9 and Noctilux F0.95 for weddings and also works for Leica on their coarses, he is in big demand
http://blog.leica-camera.com/photographers/interviews/brett-leica-m-photographer-part-1/

I rest my case. I spent three years working in Iraq and 1 year working in Afghanistan as a contractor , I had very regular opportunity to interact with journalists from all over the world who were reporting for every news agency under the sun and do you know how many I met who were shooting film ? 0 .. That's because when something happened they wanted to be able to take the images off that Nikon Or Canon and transfer them to a laptop and upload them via the nearest Internet connection to their employers. Again for the meat and potatoes photographers who work at news papers and news services film is dead its not fast and slow is death in the 24 hour cycles. Weddings are not fast no one expects wedding photos 10 minutes after they are shot. Nor does anyone expect the car and driver spread in 10 minutes. Just my two cents. I am not saying people cant make a living with film and dont. I am saying the majority of the industry has embraced digital for its positive attributes and went forward with it.

I rest my case. I spent three years working in Iraq and 1 year working in Afghanistan as a contractor , I had very regular opportunity to interact with journalists from all over the world who were reporting for every news agency under the sun and do you know how many I met who were shooting film ? 0 .. That's because when something happened they wanted to be able to take the images off that Nikon Or Canon and transfer them to a laptop and upload them via the nearest Internet connection to their employers. Again for the meat and potatoes photographers who work at news papers and news services film is dead its not fast and slow is death in the 24 hour cycles. Weddings are not fast no one expects wedding photos 10 minutes after they are shot. Nor does anyone expect the car and driver spread in 10 minutes. Just my two cents. I am not saying people cant make a living with film and dont. I am saying the majority of the industry has embraced digital for its positive attributes and went forward with it.

Ummmm.... the Leica M9 is a digital camera.

Joe

Ummmm.... the Leica M9 is a digital camera.

Joe

The M9 is a digital you make an excellent point. What last film camera the M7 was the last film rangefinder IIRC.

Buy a Leica, if you love it, you will never sell it. If you don't love it, you will probably get your money back. Your children will have an heirloom and if the vast majority of the world forgets 35mm there will be an "impossible project" somewhere making Tri-X or HP5 and you can develop it with Tylenol Vitamin C Vinegar and home hair permanent curling stuff. You can always sell a kidney and buy an M9. You can use the lenses on an NEX-7 or a Ricoh GXR.

They will have to prise my M3 from my cold, dead hands....

David

I don't understand why peole are convinced that film is dead.

Film died December 30, 2010

Joe

View attachment 14894

^^^^^^^^^^total misinformation. but I guess if its on the 'Net, it just must be true
bigthumb.gif

A fine M series Leica is a wonderful little machine and perfect for some types of photography. The old Canon rangefinder P or 7s are very fine, as well. The problem is to get a good one because they were manufactured a very long time ago.

desertrattm2r12 said:
A fine M series Leica is a wonderful little machine and perfect for some types of photography. The old Canon rangefinder P or 7s are very fine, as well. The problem is to get a good one because they were manufactured a very long time ago.

An old Leicas have no problems even if they are battered and will last for ever my M4 will still be going when all my Canon digitals are dead

It's not a problem at all getting a good M, most have been pretty well taken care of over the years... heck, even the older screwmounts still work fine, I still use my 1956 IIIf on a regular basis. Leica = quality, the old Canons were built to similar standards too.

Getting a cheap rangefinder is a good idea. run 6 or 8 rolls through it and see if you like the style.

If you do then pull the trigger on the Leica. If not then you'll have saved a lot of money.

Or you could quit kidding yourself and go directly into Large format. It's about the same money.

You can't beat an analog B&W print and a 4X5 (or up) negative is night and day better than 135 format. You also seem to put a premium on the process of photography and LF has that 6 ways from zero too. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back