Rangefinder vs. SLR Cameras: Main Differences

What is main difference Rangefinder vs. SLR Cameras
As written in the responses, know this--models of the Fuji camera come with either OVF or EVF. Called "hybrid" so you have a choice. Look through the lens or optical viewfinder. I use this feature on one of my Fuji rigs. Nice to have choices, As one poster stated, using the OVF one can see what's going on outside of the image area. I consider an advantage--but that's just me.

Last edited:
When you look through the view finder of a range finder camera, you are not looking through the camera lens but a separate lens beside the cameras taking lens. There is also smaller lens on the other side of the camera. A small piece of the image from the center is projected into the center of the view finder from the range finder lens. You focus by turning the focusing ring until the 2 overlapping images match or become 1. An SLR has a mirror angled at a 45 degree angle behind the taking lens. The mirror projects the image on a small ground glass. On top of the ground glass is a pentaprism that sends the image to the view finder. You focus the image by turning the focusing ring on the lens until the image is in focus. When you take the picture, the mirror flips up out of the way and the shutter opens exposing the film on a film camera and the sensor on a digital.

SLR you see what you get. Range finder you see that area being photographed.

With many if today's modern DSLR cameras, you do not have to worry about distance, aperture, shutter speed, or ISO; some tech Guru at the camera company has already done the work for you.

So why would you want Range Finder?
* They are often cheaper.
* They are tough.
* There are few moving part to go wrong.

You mentioned SLRs, so you are talking film cameras, then I can attest to the fact the that you can take an Argus C5 RF, unload the film and put it in your canoe camping gear. It will sit there and be ready to go on your next adventure.

And, if it falls overboard, there is another one on Ebay. :) :)
I'm thinking by rangefinder we're talking about point and shoot cameras? I have a Nikon S6900 and have a Canon off getting fixed. I like them to carry bird hunting and dog training with me. Both take really nice photo's but sun hitting the viewing screen mess's them up. Only other complaint is they didn't last long without having to go get fixed, maybe a year! Don't get my Canon back I'm gonna go looking for another to carry around outdoors. Both mine fit in a pouch on my belt and never got cumberson or in the way, like they weren't even there! It beats carrying even a fairly small DSLR to simply take a photo of something that just pop's up. If it's something you want maybe a better photo of you can always go back with the DSLR!

No, a rangefinder is a camera that focuses by matching images through two different lenses to determine the subject distance. The main viewfinder has a "ghost" image from a second viewer superimposed, and it moves side to side as you adjust the focus knob. When the ghost overlays the main image exactly, that subject is in focus.

The folded up projection screen is the subject, out of focus:
52955641330_2bd9c347e3_c.jpg

in focus:
52954662517_5b21b83e7a_c.jpg

These were shot with this camera, a 1952 Voigtlander Vitessa, by digiscoping my phone through the viewfinder window. You can see the main viewfinder window near the top corner, and the rangefinder window above the lens.
48632793901_523825b5e0_o.jpg

Last edited:
So, is a P&S camera a range finder? I had one, don't remember what it was, with a eye finder on it that lookingnthroughit was terrible but it did do alright. Now my Canon and Nikon P&S's you look at a deal on the back of the camera. Tried it a moment ago and turned on my Nikon and held my had in front of the lense and blocked everything out. Guessing not a range finder but no eye piece either?

Most current point-and-shoots are either auto-focus or (like an old Instamatic) require no focusing. They are not range-finders. P&S cameras have a separate viewfinder, but that does not make them rangefinders, it simply makes them not reflex cameras. (The term reflex means the viewfinder looks through the camera's actual lens.)

To be a rangefinder, the focusing system uses that overlay image that I showed in my previous post. When the images overlap exactly, the range has been found.

The word rangefinder actually does not come from photography, it comes from surveying, I think. An optical device to find the distance to something by converging images from two different viewpoints. It also had military applications in artillery. but using a rangefinder in a camera to find subject distance was an easy way to accurately focus.

Now that I got my Panosonic going I have to admit I get as good of photo's with it as with my Nikon D7000. One difference I find is it's easier to frame the photo through the Nikom view finder than the back of the Panosonic. In fact with the sun in the wrong spot framing with the Panosonic is darn near impossible! The other problem with point and shoots is there are $80 ones and $500 ones. $80 ones work I guess but a DSLR will blow it away. The $500 one are a different deal! And then there are the $300 one's. I've had two of them and life is simply to short! Both My $300 one's made it about a year and turned to junk! One Nikon and one Canon and while they worked they took very nice photo's!

Most reactions

Back