Rangefinders.

I'm a bit late to the game but don't forget about the olympus xa. It's a killer rangefinder. I carry it everywhere. It's about half the weight and size of the more robust canonet 17.

I have both but prefer the XA, I swear the canonet feels like it weighs as much as my D300.

So now what battery do I use, I have read so many different options and my head is spinning. A Wein cell? How long do those last? Or would it be better to solder a diode in so I can use 1.6v alkalines?

I have both but prefer the XA, I swear the canonet feels like it weighs as much as my D300.

I actually like the weight of the canonet.. that's one thing I like about classic cameras, they don't feel so much like toys compared to modern cameras.

that's one thing I like about classic cameras, they don't feel so much like toys compared to modern cameras.

Amen to that....I have a hard time using cameras that don't feel like they are going to break my shoulder. It's part of why I don't use my rangefinder very often.

My S2 finally came, and it is in great physical shape, the only mark is on the bottom where it looks like somebody etched their name and then somebody scribbled it out, so there is some exposed brass.
The only kicker is that it doesnt work... The rangefinder mirror is persumably bouncing around in the top of the camera, and the aprature blades are stuck. Both of these issues seem to be pretty common issues. This is going to be my first camera rebuild project. Any advice?

Turns out the lens it self is also fairly loose. Looks like I will have quite the project on my hands.

Well, I am nothing if not impatient.
The mirror has been re-glued and realigned. This was actually much easier than I thought.

The aperture blades have been flushed with lighter fluid, and they are drying over night. I think it should work as they did snap in to place with very minimal coaxing before being flushed.

I got the barrel as tight as I could from the front, there is still a little play. I think I can fix it from the back but I guess that will have to wait until I tackle the capacitor so I can use 1.5v batteries and still meter correctly.

Since I am putting this much work in to the camera I am thinking about slapping on some garish (or maybe just classy) leather to replace the leatherette on there now. Has anybody used cameraleathers.com? I read somewhere that they were getting bad about actually shipping the orders. Has anybody cut their own leathers? Any advice?

Well, I am nothing if not impatient.
The mirror has been re-glued and realigned. This was actually much easier than I thought.

The aperture blades have been flushed with lighter fluid, and they are drying over night. I think it should work as they did snap in to place with very minimal coaxing before being flushed.

I got the barrel as tight as I could from the front, there is still a little play. I think I can fix it from the back but I guess that will have to wait until I tackle the capacitor so I can use 1.5v batteries and still meter correctly.

Since I am putting this much work in to the camera I am thinking about slapping on some garish (or maybe just classy) leather to replace the leatherette on there now. Has anybody used cameraleathers.com? I read somewhere that they were getting bad about actually shipping the orders. Has anybody cut their own leathers? Any advice?
You sound pretty handy!:thumbup:

You sound pretty handy!:thumbup:

Hey, thanks. I have worked as a bike mechanic in the past, that might be where it comes from. I have been taking things apart and putting them together for as long as I can remember. (Its only recently that they have started working once I put them back together though;))

Hey, thanks. I have worked as a bike mechanic in the past, that might be where it comes from. I have been taking things apart and putting them together for as long as I can remember. (Its only recently that they have started working once I put them back together though;))
ah... yeah! That's my problem. Can't figure how to take 'em apart most of the time. I never had trouble putting things back together as long as long as I didn't use a hammer and chisel when dismantling them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back