Votes: 2 5.9%
  • It makes sence and can be proven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sounds about right

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Spot on, right all the way

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
One of the problems I see, which I experienced a lot working professionally as a musician, is that people are thinking too highly of what being a professional is and are blurring the line between being a professional and an artist. They are not one and the same. You can't change the definition of professional photographer just so a handful of people will be happy.

Cream will rise to the top no matter how flooded the medium gets. Turn your negative energies positive and direct them at your camera.

One of the problems I see, which I experienced a lot working professionally as a musician, is that people are thinking too highly of what being a professional is and are blurring the line between being a professional and an artist. They are not one and the same. You can't change the definition of professional photographer just so a handful of people will be happy.

Cream will rise to the top no matter how flooded the medium gets. Turn your negative energies positive and direct them at your camera.

:lmao: I love newbies that cast judgements when they clearly don't know me and twist my post into some skewed misrepresentation. It amuses me.:lol:

Relax guys, I'm not trying to start WWIII, If I where I would have said something about film Canons vs digital Nikons....or something equally dumb.

By the definition of some of the posts above, it sounds like you must be a professional to be considered a photographer. Do you think that the people who are better than you look at you and say "they are no photographer!"? How do you know that your work even meet the standards of what a professional photographer should be?

I hope, when I get better, that I never get arrogant in my work and put down those who may not be as good.

Please point to the post or anywhere that I refer to myself as a professional photographer? I do not. Even on my website, I describe myself as an "ambitious" photographer. .

Hey, from your point of view, I'm a model, (because I'm pretty and I can "walk", right?) a mechanic, (cuz I pump my own gas and fill my own tires, you know), a maid (because I know how to clean), a chef (because I cook food) and a beutician (because I do my own makeup and hair).

If it is arrogant to suggest that the term "I am a photographer" should apply to those that make a living doing so or at least have an inkling of what they are doing, then I am arrogant.

:lmao: I love newbies that cast judgements when they clearly don't know me and twist my post into some skewed misrepresentation. It amuses me.:lol:

I love you too, really. I just hate your pompous, snobbish attitude towards people who chose the same medium as you and probably aren't that much worse than you.

Please point to the post or anywhere that I refer to myself as a professional photographer? I do not. Even on my website, I describe myself as an "ambitious" photographer. .

Hey, from your point of view, I'm a model, (because I'm pretty and I can "walk", right?) a mechanic, (cuz I pump my own gas and fill my own tires, you know), a maid (because I know how to clean), a chef (because I cook food) and a beutician (because I do my own makeup and hair).

If it is arrogant to suggest that the term "I am a photographer" should apply to those that make a living doing so or at least have an inkling of what they are doing, then I am arrogant.

I never said that you called yourself a professional. You "twisted" my post. No, from my point of view I am not saying that you are a mechanic if you pump your own gas...once again you are "twisting" what I am saying. A PROFESSIONAL photographer and photographer are TWO SEPARATE things in my opinion. If I am creating a photo and have some sort of passion for it, then I am a photographer...not a professional until I start earning some sort of living from it or have my worked published often (even then I may still not be considered a professional).

The bottom line is that I feel that there are amateur photographers and professional photographers. Maybe you, Kelly, believe that the term "photographer" stands for professional only, and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion as well as I am.

Battou asked for opinions on his original post, and that is what I am giving, so don't take what I say personal please.

" That begs the question, what is an unprofessional photographer? "

Someone call me? :)

I think your original post has an elitist attitude and if we applied this same perception to all art (music, painting, sculpture) there would be less and less art as no one would feel worthy of trying after their first attempt with an out of focus shot.

I think this attitude is becoming more and more prominent by the release of good photo equipment at a lower price coupled with the digital photography revolution. I think this idea will get lost in the dust of more great photography done by – in your mind – crappy amateurs.

My two cents.

I think your original post has an elitist attitude and if we applied this same perception to all art (music, painting, sculpture) there would be less and less art as no one would feel worthy of trying after their first attempt with an out of focus shot.

I think this attitude is becoming more and more prominent by the release of good photo equipment at a lower price coupled with the digital photography revolution. I think this idea will get lost in the dust of more great photography done by – in your mind – crappy amateurs.

My two cents.

Please do not base your entire conclution on just one post.

Most reactions

Back